As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Happy Halloween! I have a love/hate relationship with this holiday. I love seeing the kids get dressed up in school and having a great time, but the entire day they won’t be able to concentrate because they are thinking about the costume that they have in their bookbag. I will also be dressing up again this year. This time I’ll be a witch. Then when I get home I’ll pass out candy to our 300+ trick or treaters and then I’m heading for bed. I figured this year I needed to make some cookies to give me some energy to get through the day. I usually like making cookies decorated with royal icing but I didn’t have the time this year. So instead I made the most delicious pumpkin cookies I’ve had. They are chai spiced cookies topped with Pumpkin Spice Kisses.
Nothing quite says Halloween or fall like pumpkin and spices. The scent of cinnamon and nutmeg just reminds me of fall. So what spices are in chai? Traditionally chai has a base of ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon. Most recipes also have cloves and peppercorns as well. If you don’t have any chai latte powder laying around, you can use a combination of the five spices and mix them with a few tablespoons of sugar.
The cookies are a simple sugar cookie made with chai spices. After they are made they are rolled in chai latte spices. Then they are baked and then Pumpkin Spice Kisses are placed in the middle. They are an easy cookie to make but they are a good one.
I also like that they look and smell like fall. That smell of cinnamon and pumpkin reminds me of both Halloween and fall. The great thing about these cookies is that you can change up the flavor of the kiss in the middle as well and have a different cookie. I think the caramel kisses or even the hugs would be great with the chai spiced cookies.
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. chai latte powder, divided
- 3 T. water
- 1 egg
- 1 T. vanilla
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 20 Hershey's Pumpkin Spice Kisses
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together. Add in half of the chai latte powder and the water. Mix well.
- Stir in the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add it to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls into the remaining chai latte powder and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Meanwhile, unwrap the kisses.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately place a kiss in the middle. Do not touch after placing the kiss in the middle.
- Allow to cool completely, at least 2 hours, before removing from the baking sheet or else the kisses will turn into chocolate puddles.
Adapted from Pass the Sushi