I love a good, homemade bread. It doesn't really matter what kind, I'm totally, completely in love with bread. I recently found a recipe for Jalapeno Cheddar bread. I had just had a jalapeno cheddar bagel and it was so delicious I had to try this bread.
Jalapeno Cheddar Bread (adapted from Cook, Pray, Love )
1 packet of yeast
¼ c. warm water
4 T. butter, melted
3 ½ c. bread flour
4 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and diced
1 ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. lowfat milk
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
½ t. black pepper
1. Pour the yeast into a small bowl and add the warm water. Mix gently and let sit 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl mix the butter, egg, and milk. Whisk. Add in the yeast and water mixture. Whisk again.
3. Add the salt, sugar, pepper, and flour to the liquid mixture and mix well.
4. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead for ten minutes or until dough is smooth. Roll the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise for 2 hours in a warm place-it should double.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and slowly knead the jalapenos and cheddar into the dough, a little at a time. If the dough becomes sticky add more flour (up to ¼ cup).
6. Once the jalapenos and cheddar are mixed in, put the dough into a greased bread pan. Cover again with the towel and let rise an additional 2 hours.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.