As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Friday night in our house is pizza night. Some weeks we have a simple cheese and pepperoni pizza made with refrigerated pizza dough. Other weeks I use store made pizza dough, roll it out thin, and make it into flatbread pizza. Then there are the days where I want a gourmet pizza. Those nights call for my homemade pizza dough.
What do I mean by gourmet? I don’t mean getting crazy, hard to find ingredients, or a pizza that ends up costing me $30 in ingredients. To me a gourmet pizza is one that has multiple topping to make it a flavor sensation. A few of my my recent favorites are Pizza Alla Vodka and Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
Last week I received a few cooking magazines and the first recipe to catch my eye was this Chicago Style Pizza. Let me preface this recipe by saying I’ve only been to Chicago once, and it was for one day so I don’t know much about the town. I’ve never had the pizza there but I imagine it to be something like this. I could also be totally off base.
This pizza starts with sweet Italian sausage. Of course, spicy Italian sausage could be used in place of the sweet to add some heat. Then the pizza is sprinkled with mozzarella cheese. What, no sauce? There isn’t an actual sauce but a tomato, onion, and mushroom mixture is poured over top of the topping and then the pizza is baked in the oven until it’s golden brown.
This pizza was awesome. My husband and I could not stop eating it. The crust is crispy and then the topping are almost locked into the pizza with the tomato mixture on top. I really liked that I could taste the toppings, cheese, and tomatoes the way it was put together. This pizza makes enough for 4 people so enjoy it with your family or a few friends!
- 1 lb. frozen pizza dough (or homemade!)
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 2 c. mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Press the dough into the bottom of a 15 x 10 inch jellyroll pan.
- Crumble the sausage into a large skillet. Cook and stir until brown. Remove the sausage from the skillet and sprinkle over top of the pizza dough. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic cloves to hot skillet and saute for 5 minutes. Add the drained tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Spoon over top of the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan over top of the entire pizza.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the crust is browned. Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan, cutting, and serving.
Source: Adapted from allrecipes.com