Greek marinated chicken breasts cooked on the grill then served on pita bread along with red onions, lettuce, and homemade Tzatziki sauce make a delicious Chicken Gyro. This post originally published September 13, 2012.
One thing I love about the warm weather is being able to grill out. Grilling is such a healthy way to prepare food and it gives the food an incredible flavor. If I could I’d grill everything from May until September. Well, that’s not entirely true. I wouldn’t grill it. I only marinate the meal and get it ready, my husband does most of the grilling in our house.
I’ve been trying to make a lot of sandwiches and wraps lately because they are great for lunch or dinner. If I double the recipe we can have them for dinner one day then lunch the next. They are also a wonderful, filling dinner for days when it’s too warm out to eat a hot meal. My husband has been loving tzatziki sauce on his wraps so when I saw these chicken gyros I knew they would be a winner.
I marinated them for several hours and the chicken absorbed all the flavors of the lemon, vinegar, and oregano. It came off the grill dark on the outside and juicy inside. While we used pitas as the wrap you could totally use flatbread wraps instead. We then piled them high with chicken, onions, lettuce, feta, and homemade tzatziki. They were delicious!
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- While you can use store bought Tzatziki sauce, homemade is so much better! Check out my recipe HERE.
- Don’t want to serve these on pita bread? Try a flat bread wrap or serve over a bed of lettuce for a tasty salad.
- You can substitute pork or beef for the chicken and still have a tasty gyro recipe.
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried dill
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 batch tzatziki sauce
- sliced red onions
- cucumber slices
- feta cheese
- 4 pitas
- In a gallon size zip top bag combine the garlic cloves, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, oregano, dill, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken to the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Cook the chicken on the grill until it reaches 170 degrees internally, about 5-7 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into thin slices. Layer the chicken, red onions, lettuce, feta, and tzatziki sauce on the pita bread.
- Roll them up and serve with additional tzatziki.
Recipe from Tide & Thyme
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1071mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 43g
Grilling for Labor Day
- Chicken Gyros by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Greek Steak and Veggie Kabobs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Grilled Bacon Gouda Burger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Grilled Beef and Bacon Roulades by That Recipe
- Grilled Meatball Skewers by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Shrimp and Sausage with Pineapple Skewers by Blogghetti
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos by Making Miracles
- Mixed Seafood Kabobs by Art of Natural Living
- Samurai Steak by Palatable Pastime