Every Saturday I make a grocery list so I can match it up with the ads on Sunday morning. I usually buy everything I need to make 6 dinners as well as a few things for lunch. I put the pantry staples on the list and then I usually add fruits and vegetables.
On any given week I buy 3 different types of fruit and 4-5 types of vegetables. We enjoy eating fresh fruits and vegetables and they are good for us. The problem with some of the fruit is that it goes bad fairly quickly. For some reason I tend to eat all of the other fruit before the bananas. I'm not sure why this is as I really like bananas.
Part of the reason is I can use the overripe bananas for banana bread while the other fruit we just throw away. Banana bread is one of my favorite types of bread because it's so easy to make and you can leave it plain or jazz it up with other ingredients.
Today I wanted to make a sweeter version so I added in a chocolate hazelnut swirl. It made the bread look pretty and it tasted great. Chocolate and bananas taste great together plus the underlying flavor of hazelnuts was delicious. This is a great way to put a twist on banana bread.
Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread
A twist on the classic banana bread when chocolate hazelnut spread is added in!
- 2 c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 c. sugar
- ¼ c. butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas, mashed
- ⅓ c. applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ c. chocolate hazelnut spread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the sugar and butter. Add in the eggs and beat well.
- Stir in the bananas, applesauce, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Pour the banana bread mixture into the prepared pan.
- Place dollops of chocolate hazelnut spread on top of the banana bread mixture. Using a butter knife and swirl the chocolate hazelnut spread into the banana bread.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the bread and remove from the pan. Cool on a wire rack.
Adapted from Cooking Light
Breads with Cocoa, Cacao or Carob in any form
- Chocolate & Cherry Swirl Breads from The Bread She Bakes
- Chocolate Orange Swirl Buns from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Chocolate and Vanilla Brioche from Kidsandchic
- Chocolate Banana Quick Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Buttermilk Quick Bread from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Filled Bundt Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Monkey Bread from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls from From Gate to Plate
- Chocolate Yeast Bread from Cook's Hideout
- Croatian Povitica - Chocolate Walnut Swirl Bread from Herbivore Cucina
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Pocket Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Dark Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Buns from Baking in Pyjamas
- Double Chocolate Espresso Scones from Wholistic Woman
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Egg Free 45 Minutes Chocolate Buns from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Eggless Chocolate Babka from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Eggless Chocolate Swirl Buns from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Eggless Triple Chocolate Scones from Spill the Spices
- Four-Chocolate Sour Cream Quickbread from What Smells So Good?
- Leopard Print Bread from Spiceroots
- Pain Au Chocolat (Chocolate filled Croissants) from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Pane Al Cioccolato - Chocolate Bread from Ruchik Randhap
- Petits Pain au Chocolat - Mini Chocolate Croissant from Sneha's Recipe
- Sourdough Cacao Sweet Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Sweet Russian Chocolate Braid from Hostess At Heart
- Two Chocolates Greek Yogurt Banana Bread from La cocina de Aisha
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to [email protected].
love the swirl effect - I am a little behind in commenting and today is Easter - this would be perfect to serve with Easter dinner!
btw Happy Easter or belated Purim...whichever you celebrate 🙂
There is no way I could shop without my list! I've actually gotten to the store and gone back home.
Chocolate and Hazelnuts are meant for each other! So good together! I also love to make banana bread with bananas that are way over ripe. Brings in a sweetness to the baked quick bread. I love your combo !
I always think banana bread is much improved with additions. Chocolate hazelnut bread sounds perfect to me!
That is one absolutely delicious looking banana bread. Love the chocolate swirls in there.
Pretty incredible meal plan! I wish I were better organized!
Smruti | Herbivore Cucina
Chocolate, bananas and hazelnut! Wow I love them all 🙂 Awesome bread!!
Wow Heather! That's a nice way of adding some sparkle to the already delicious banana bread! I must do this...I always seem to have bananas that nobody wants the minute they show signs of aging! Nice menu planning habit you have there...It really helps to sort your weekday meal menu and not go into a frenzy at the last minute! Thanks for participating in this event!
Menu planning is SO helpful! I think this is a great way to add some jazz to banana bread too!
Cindys Recipes and Writings
Banana bread is very special to me. I love the chocolate chips in here!
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm
I love the hazelnut swirl in this banana bread. I always have overripe bananas on the counter or in the freezer.
I also get bananas then wind up having to bake something because they sit on the counter and get over-ripe. I'll add this recipe to my baking list. I do like that hazelnut chocolate swirl in the middle.