Happy St. Patrick’s Day! This week #SundaySupper is focusing on Springtime recipes and because it’s also St. Patrick’s Day I wanted to share these amazing Chocolate Mint Brownies! I can remember eating brownies similar to these when I was a kid. My next door neighbor, Mrs. Fichter, would make them and I can remember going over to her house and eating several (or 5). I loved them then and I’m glad to say that I still love these mint chocolate gems.
The brownie is dense and fudge filled. The mint layer is light, fluffy, and packed with flavor. The top layer is chocolate ganache which hardens the longer it sits. The combination of the mint sandwiched in between two types of chocolate is just incredible. These were the perfect brownies to make for the St. Patrick’s party at school and they are also a fun dessert for the beginning of spring.
Chocolate Mint Brownies (adapted from Mom on Time Out)
For the Brownies:
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
4 oz. unsweetened Baker’s chocolate, chopped
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 t. mint extract
2/3 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
For the Mint Filling:
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
2 c. powdered sugar
1 T. water
1 t. mint extract
green food coloring
For the Chocolate Ganache:
3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. Hershey’s Mint chocolate Chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with foil and set aside.
2. In a double broiler, melt the butter, chocolate, and mint chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in the vanilla, mint extract, and sugar. Add the eggs in one at a time stirring well after each addition.
5. Pour the brownie mix into the prepared pan and bake for 22-27 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
6. To make the mint layer beat the butter with a hand mixer until it is fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar, water, mint, and green food coloring. Mix until creamy and the green coloring is evenly distributed.
7. Spread the mint layer over top of the cooled brownies. Place in the refrigerate while making the ganache.
8. Place the chocolate chips and the mint chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Set aside.
9. Pour the whipping cream into a small saucepan and heat to just a simmer. Pour the whipping cream over top of the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
10. Let the ganache cool for 15-20 minutes. Pour over top of the mint layer and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Remove from the refrigerator and cut into 30 small squares.
**Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator
Green and Spring Dishes Menu Includes:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog