As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I always feel like Memorial Day weekend is the official start to summer. People begin getting their gardens ready, grills are fired up, and usually it’s the end of frost and cold weather. The beginning of summer is also the beginning of BBQ season and I’m happy to be sharing the perfect dessert for summer cookouts.
Every party needs a dessert and this super easy Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake is perfect to bring to summer gatherings. It does not need to be refrigerated and since it’s made in a baking pan you can simply cut it and take it with you wherever you are going. You don’t need a cake carrier or anything except a piece of foil to put over the top.
One of the reasons it’s so easy to make is that you use a cake mix as the base of this cake. While I’m not a huge fan of mixes this one gets enough flavor from the cinnamon mixture that’s poured over the top and the frosting that you can hardly even tell it comes from a box. This is also one of those cakes that actually tastes better after it’s refrigerated so pop it in the refrigerator and take it out right before you go to your picnic or party and it will taste amazing.
The cake tastes just like a cinnamon roll. The mixture that is poured over the top is sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, and brown sugar and tastes so good. The frosting is a cream cheese frosting like the one that goes on top of a cinnamon roll. The whole cake simply tastes like one giant cinnamon roll.
For the cake:
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix + ingredients to make the cake
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 T. butter, melted
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 1 t. sea salt
For the frosting:
- 4 T. butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 T. vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare the cake according to the package directions and pour into the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Poke holes using the bottom of a wooden spoon all over the cake. Pour a quarter of the milk and brown sugar mixture over the top and smooth it into the holes. Repeat until all the filling is gone.
- To make the frosting beat the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl using a mixer. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Spread over top of the cake. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
Recipe adapted from Delish
- Grilled Corn with Hot Honey Lime Sauce by Our Good Life
- Chicken Piccata Burger with Roasted Radish Aioli by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- No Bake Double Layer Pudding Pie by Family Around the Table
- Hawaiian Chicken in Foil by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Classic Coleslaw by Home Sweet Homestead
- Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Smoked BBQ Sauce by Art of Natural Living