Simple coffee cupcakes topped with fluffy coffee buttercream frosting makes a delicious Coffee Cupcake that is great for dessert or even a breakfast treat!
Last week I was up at 6:15 on a Saturday morning. Instead of getting up, grabbing a cup of coffee, and relaxing before my husband and son woke up I decided that I wanted to get in the kitchen and start baking.
I was reading a cooking magazine the other day and it had one basic vanilla cake recipe and one basic chocolate cake recipe that could then be tweaked to make 20 different cakes. Since I have no use for 20 cakes I immediately started thinking about how I could do that with cupcakes instead.
I got myself set up in the kitchen with the basic vanilla cake mix and then started looking for ingredients. We have about 5 bags of dried strawberries in the cupboard so I figured I would make a strawberry cupcake. Then as I was looking around I focused on my coffee pot and had a thought. I was pretty sure I had a bottle of coffee emulsion somewhere so I went on the hunt.
I found it in the back of one of my cabinets and was excited to use it in these Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting. The cupcakes are made with a basic vanilla cake batter that is blended with brewed coffee and the coffee emulsion. It really makes for a smooth coffee flavor in the cupcakes.
Once they were out of the oven I worked on the buttercream. I've been whipping my frosting with heavy cream instead of milk because it makes it so much fluffier. I added the coffee emulsion to the frosting to give it that coffee color and the rich coffee flavor.
After piping it onto the cooled cupcakes I sprinkles the tops with gold sprinkles and those small crispy chocolate balls. They ended up looking really elegant and tasted amazing. The frosting was rich and buttery and the cupcakes were spongy and tasted like coffee.
I enjoyed my cupcake after dinner with small cup of coffee which paired so well with this cupcake. The bitterness of the cup of coffee was balanced with the sweet coffee flavor of the cupcakes. These would be great for serving at a dinner party or late night event with espresso or small cups of coffee.
For the cupcakes:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 T. strong brewed coffee
- 1 t. coffee emulsion
- 3 c. flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 ¼ c. milk
For the frosting:
- 3 sticks butter, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 t. coffee emulsion
- 1 T. strong brewed coffee
- 2 T. heavy cream
- gold sprinkles (optional)
- crunchy chocolate balls (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, coffee, and coffee emulsion and mix well to combine.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well to combine.
- Add the milk and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining flour and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners so they are ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting put the butter in a large bowl and beat with a mixer on medium high speed until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar a half cup at a time until the frosting is smooth.
- Add in the coffee emulsion, coffee, and heavy cream and beat until combined. Add additional powdered sugar if needed.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes then decorate with sprinkles and crispy chocolate balls if desired.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 372Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 306mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 0gSugar: 32gProtein: 3g
Cupcakes for Cupcake Lovers Day!
Hosted by Valentina | The Baking Fairy
Vegan German Chocolate Cupcakes by The Baking Fairy
Bailey’s Red Velvet Cupcakes by Our Crafty Mom
Buttermilk Cupcakes with Strawberry Whipped Cream by One Sweet Appetite
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes by The Urben Life
Fiori Di Sicilia + Elderflower Cupcakes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Gingerbread Cupcakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Maple Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Date Icing by UpBeet Kitchen
Mickey Mouse Sprinkles Cupcakes by For The Love of Food
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes by Join Us, Pull Up A Chair
Poblano Cornbread Muffins with Goat Cheese Frosting by The Spiffy Cookie
Sourdough Strawberry Cupcakes by Our Good Life
Vanilla Bean Buttercream Cupcakes by Red Cottage Chronicles