It had an amazingly sweet and spicy scent when it came out of the oven. The pies easily popped out of the muffin tins and held their shape. They were sweet and tart, with a hint of cinnamon. They were fantastic! This is probably the best dessert I’ve made this month. I will be making this for our Thanksgiving dinner.
Cranberry Apple Mini Pies (Crust recipe adapted from All Recipes . The pie filling is my own creation.)
For the crust:
1 ½ c. flour
⅓ c. vegetable oil
¼ c. low fat milk
2 T. sugar
½ t. salt
½ t. cinnamon
For the filling:
¾ c. fresh cranberries
½ c. water
½ c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 T. flour
2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½ inch pieces (I used Gala)
Juice of ½ lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the crust. Mix with a fork until combined. Roll out the dough to ⅛ inch thick. Cut out 3 inch circles (using a cookie cutter or a knife). Put each circle into one of the muffin cups in your muffin tin.
3. Push into the bottom and the sides of the muffin tin. Trim any extra dough hanging over the edge or top. Poke two holes in the bottom of each pie crust with a fork. Bake for 12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the cranberries, water, sugar, and cinnamon in a small pot of medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Continue to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the flour.
5. Cut the apples into ½ inch slices. Sprinkle with the lemon juice.