Happy Mother's Day! I am super excited to be hosting this week's #SundaySupper event! Could there be a better way to honor my mother then to be hosting #SundaySupper? I don't think so! Especially since Sunday Supper was always a time my family came together with my mom making a home cooked meal and my family talking about our week. It was a time none of us ever missed, no swimming or soccer practices, and just time with the family.
What is #SundaySupper? It's a mission started by my new friend Isabel of Family Foodie. Her mission is to bring families around the dinner table to share meals and time together every week. Each week our amazing #SundaySupper group shares a new theme, and this week it's Mother's Day!
I had a hard time deciding what to make this week. I wanted to make something that my mom really loves but many of those recipes are already on my blog. I went through some of my recipe books and couldn't find anything. I then started looking through my recipe card boxes and as I was flipping through I spotted it. My recipe for crepes.
A little background on these crepes. I took Home Economics cooking classes for several years in junior high and high school and loved it. I used many of the recipes at home to cook for my family. This crepe recipe came from my 10th grade Home Ec. class and it was one of my mom's favorites. In fact, she still asks me to make crepes for her every once in a while and this recipe is from more then 15 years ago!
I didn't change the crepe recipe at all. Why change something that works? I did change the filling though. As a teenager I always filled the crepes with pie filling and then topped them with Cool Whip. This time I used my homemade peach jam filling, topped it off with vanilla Cool Whip, and then sprinkled them with berries. While my mother wasn't here when I made them, I can't wait to make them for her the next time I'm home! I know she's going to love them, especially with my homemade jam.
Crepes (recipe from my 10th grade Home Economics teacher at North Hills High School)
1 ½ c. flour
1 T. sugar
½ t. baking powder
½ t. salt
2 c. low fat milk
2 T. butter, melted
1 t. vanilla
For the filling and toppings:
¾ c. homemade peach jam
1 c. fresh blueberries
1 c. vanilla Cool Whip
1. In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Stir in the milk, butter, vanilla, and eggs. Beat for 1 minute or until smooth.
3. Heat an 8 inch skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
4. To make each crepe, pour ¼ cup of batter into the skillet and immediately rotate the skillet until a thin layer of the batter covers the bottom.
5. Cook until bubbles begin to form and the outer edges turn golden brown. Flip the crepe over and continue cooking on the other side until it is brown as well. Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
6. Repeat with remaining crepes, placing a sheet of waxed paper in between each crepe when stacking.
7. When ready to eat, spread 1-2 tablespoons of jam on one side of the crepe. Roll up the crepe, place on a plate, spoon Cool Whip on top of the crepe, and sprinkle with blueberries. Enjoy!
Make sure you take a look at what all the other #SundaySupper participants are sharing for Mother's Day!
Mother's Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita's Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother's Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother's Day Sides:
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother's Day Desserts and Drinks:
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream from Neighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom's Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom's Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni's Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
Don't forget to join the #SundaySupper chat on Twitter today to celebrate Mother's Day! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share our delicious recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Do you have your ticket to the Food and Wine Conference yet? If not, there will be a special $100 discount available tonight only on the full conference pass if you participate in the #SundaySupper twitter chat from 7 to 8pm Eastern Time, and purchase your ticket during the chat. The discount code is: SundaySupper. We hope to see you there!