You may remember that I received a package in the mail from Bob's Red Mill with several of their products. Last week I used the Gluten Free Vanilla Cake mix to make Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes. This week I wanted to try the Blue Cornmeal. I initially thought about making blue corn tortilla chips but in the end I decided on Jalapeno Cheddar Blue Corn Muffins.
Last week was Cinco de Mayo and I made stacked enchiladas for dinner and needed a side dish to go along with them. I went to make cornbread muffins when I spotted the package of blue cornmeal in the cupboard. I quickly switched to making blue corn muffins. When I was in the refrigerator I saw the jalapenos and ended up making jalapeno cheddar blue corn muffins.
These muffins were really good but very different from the baking mixes I normally make my cornbread from. I'd say these are the authentic cornmeal muffins and they were delicious. The blue color was bright and unusual but I also thought it made them fun. They were slightly spicy from the jalapenos, cheesy from the cheddar, and had a great texture from the cornmeal.
Don't forget to stop by again next Friday to see my final recipe made from Bob's Red Mill products along with a chance to win a box of their products!
Jalapeno Cheddar Blue Corn Muffins (adapted from Betty Crocker)
1 ¼ c. Bob's Red Mill Blue Cornmeal
1 c. all purpose flour
¼ c. vegetable oil
1 t. baking powder
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
½ t. baking soda
1 c. milk
⅓ c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, vegetable oil, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Mix well.
3. Pour in the milk and mix until smooth. Add in the cheese and jalapenos and mix well. Stir in the eggs.
4. Pour the muffin mixture into the prepared muffin cups, filling them ¾ of the way full.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pan and serve warm.
Disclaimer: I received a package of Bob's Red Mill products from the company but all opinions are my own.
I love corn bread and corn muffins. I must make these, love Bob's Red Mill products.