I'm so happy it's finally Easter again and I can share these amazing cookies with my readers! Last year I made several batches of them and kept eating them before I could get a good picture. I mean, it doesn't get much better then a sugar cookie with mini Cadbury eggs and Reese eggs in the middle of them, topped off with buttercream and jelly beans! These are by far one of my all time favorite cookies and they are fairly simple to make. Kids can help too by placing the jelly beans or M&M's on top.
Easter Egg Surprise Cookies (adapted from In Katrina's Kitchen)
2 ½ c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 sticks (1 cup) of butter
¾ c. sugar
¾ c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 egg white
12 mini Cadbury eggs
12 mini Reese eggs
For the buttercream frosting:
2 sticks of butter
3-4 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 t. meringue powder
green food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix well. Add in the egg and egg white stirring until well combined.
4. Grab a Cadbury egg and wrap a tablespoon of dough around it so it is covered completely. Placed the cookie on one side of the muffin tin. Repeat with remaining Cadbury eggs and then Reese eggs. Remember which side has Cadbury eggs and which side has Reese eggs before putting the pan in the oven.
5. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan. Gently use your fingertips and twist the cookies out of the pan. Place the cookies on a wire rack to completely cool.
6. Meanwhile, place the butter in the bowl of a mixer and beat on medium speed. Slowly add in the powdered sugar a half a cup at a time or until desired consistency is reached. Add in the vanilla and food coloring and mix for an additional minute.
7. Pipe the icing onto cooled cookies. Place jelly beans on top of the Cadbury egg cookies and the M&M's on top of the Reese egg cookies so that you can tell them apart. Enjoy!