Have I mentioned lately that I hate the cold weather? I have such a hard time when the temperature goes under 50 degrees. My hands and feet are like ice-just ask my husband. To warm up I like to make hearty meals such as soups, pastas, and casseroles. Many times the warm, comforting meals are full of fat and calories so I look for recipes I can adapt and make healthier.
One thing I like to do is make meatless meals that seem as though they have meat in them but they really don't. This eggplant bolognese is like that. It's a hearty sauce poured over top of pasta that doesn't leave me wishing for meat. A combination of eggplant, mushrooms, and tomatoes make the base of the sauce. Then red wine and vegetable broth are added for flavor. It's a great cold weather meal and it makes plenty so you can make it for a crowd or you can eat it all week long!
Eggplant Bolognese (adapted from Around the Table: Loving Food in RI)
1 c. dry red wine
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1 T. fresh rosemary, chopped
1 T. fresh oregano, chopped
6 oz. tomato paste
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 ½ c. vegetable broth
1 t. black pepper
½ c. low fat milk
1 lb. pasta, cooked and drained
1. Bring the red wine to a simmer in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add in the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
2. Add in the eggplant, mushrooms, rosemary, and oregano and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Add in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from heat and stir in milk.
6. Serve over cooked pasta.
Thanks for this recipe! I've added it to the Farm Fresh Feasts Visual Recipe Index by Ingredient, a resource for folks like me who love to eat from the farm share.
I appreciate your help in making this index better!
Now this is a bolognese I can down with! I love eggplant, and this sounds delicious.
This looks great Heather! Always looking for meatless monday recipes, and this one fits the bill beautifully! Pinning!