As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Last week I arrived home and found a large package on my front porch. I was surprised and excited to find a variety of bread products from Toufayan! While I am always buying Toufayan pitas I had no idea that they had wraps, bagels, and flatbread as well! My husband and I immediately opened the smart bagels and tried them with a little cream cheese. At just 100 calories they are less than half the calories of regular store bought bagels and they were delicious!
As I was eying up the pitas my husband began asking me what we were having for dinner. I looked again at the pitas then checked out our refrigerator. We still had plenty of vegetables from the farmer’s market and our CSA so I immediately though of making vegetable topped pizzas.
I made quick work of chopping the vegetables and putting them in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper. There is nothing better then fresh roasted vegetables. They are just bursting with flavor and goodness. When I went to get the marinara sauce out of the cupboard I realized I had a full bag of tomatoes sitting on the counter so I made my own farmers market sauce to go with the pita pizzas.
The end result was amazing. The sauce is fresh and flavorful with all the herbs and the roasted vegetables were perfect on top of the pizzas. The pitas crisped up nicely in the oven and easily held all of the toppings. We enjoyed these pita pizzas and it was a great way to use up the vegetables in our refrigerator. It’s also nice knowing that all of the ingredients are fresh, the pitas were substantial, and in this case the vegetables were all organic.
Farmer’s Market Pita Pizzas (a Hezzi-D original)
For the Sauce:
3 or 4 large tomatoes, top and bottom cut off then cut into 8 pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 t. olive oil
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. fresh herbs, chopped (I used basil, rosemary, oregano, and sage)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
For the Pita Pizzas:
4 Toufayan White Pitas
1/4 c. sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 zucchini, diced
1/2 c. broccoli florets
1 T. olive oil
1 t. sea salt
1 t. black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. Parmesan cheese
1/3 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. In a medium saucepan combine the tomatoes and peppers. Heat over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until the tomatoes are releasing their juices and the peppers are beginning to soften.
2. Add in the olive oil, vinegar, fresh herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper. Continue heating over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
4. Place the onions, green peppers, red peppers, zucchini, and broccoli on a cookie sheet. Toss with olive oil then sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the vegetables from the oven and stir. Add in the garlic and Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven and roast for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are browning.
6. Remove the vegetables from the oven and place in a bowl. Spray each Toufayan pita with cooking spray and place it on the same cookie sheet that the vegetables were on. Bake the pitas for 3 minutes.
7. Remove the pitas from the oven and flip them over. Place 1-2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce on top of the pitas and spread to the edges. Heap each pita with the roasted vegetables then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
8. Return the pita pizzas to the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the pitas have browned and the cheese has melted. Remove from oven and serve hot.