I received a package of coffee from Door County Coffee in conjunction with Taste of Home. All opinions are 100% my own.
A few weeks ago I received a package of Door County Coffee. We just got a new coffee maker and I was thinking I didn't like how it brewed the coffee until I brewed a cup of the Door County Coffee Jamaican Me Crazy. This brew is amazing! It was smooth and rich and had flavors of rum and vanilla. Suddenly I realized it wasn't my coffee maker, it was the coffee I didn't like.
Since then I've tried several different flavors of coffee. My personal favorites are Vanilla Creme Brulee, Raspberry Almond, and the Breakfast Blend. I've really enjoyed trying all the different flavors with different creamers and milk. The flavored ones are really good in the evening when I'm having a treat or dessert.
Speaking of dessert, I wanted to make a cookie that would pair perfectly with this coffee. I think rich desserts go best with coffee because coffee is a little bit bitter. These Frosted Brown Sugar Cookies from Taste at Home were really easy to make but had lot of caramel and brown sugar flavor which worked well with the flavored coffees.
The cookie is made with brown sugar, butter, flour, and sour cream. I think the sour cream helps to keep these cookies soft once they cool. The frosting is made with butter, brown sugar, and powdered sugar which basically turns into homemade caramel frosting. I'll be honest, I could eat the cookie or the frosting alone but together they are out of this world.
I brewed a cup of the Door County Coffee Jamaican Me Crazy and simply added milk to it instead of my standard flavored creamer. I don't really need additional sweetness and flavor when I'm having flavored coffee and pairing it with a dessert. The combination was sublime. I even dunked a little piece of the cookie into the coffee. Yum!
- ½ c. butter, softened
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ c. sour cream
- 1¾ c. flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ c. butter
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 T. milk
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add in the egg and mix well.
- Stir in the sour cream and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the brown sugar mixture and mix until a dough forms.
- Drop by tablespoon onto a cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the edges begins to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix until the butter is melted and the brown sugar is melting.
- Slowly stir in the milk. It may look like it is starting to curdle but keep on stirring. Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, and then remove from heat.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar until combined.
- Allow the frosting to cool for 10 minutes or so. The original recipe says to allow it to cool for 20-30 minutes but I found it was too hard to spread after that amount of time.
- Spread the frosting on the cookies and enjoy!
Colleen - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
Oh, these do look super yummy! I love brown sugar recipes!
Amy (Savory Moments)
These cookies sound and look so good! I love that frosting. So perfect with a cup of coffee.
That caramel frosting really takes these cookies over the top!