As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
One of the things I most look forward to in the summer is the fresh produce. I love going to the farmer’s market and grabbing fresh fruits and vegetables every week. It’s nice to pick from produce that is local and to support the farmer’s in our area. Plus, it’s usually super fresh and delicious.
There is one farmer who comes to our market who always has a ton of fruit. He brings apples, peaches, and plums usually. You can get a large container for a good deal. He also has fruit that is just about ready to be over ripe or is bruised that you can get for a steal. I usually buy that fruit to make jams and jellies with. It’s pretty awesome.
The other week he had a bunch of peaches so I bought a large container of them. I planned on canning them but it didn’t happen. J ended up loving them so we ate a lot of them during the day but I had quite a few left over and didn’t want them to go to waste. I started looking for recipes that used peaches. A lot of them were for pies or cobblers which I didn’t want to make.
I finally came across a Peach Crumble Bar that sounded really delicious. I also had all the ingredients on hand so I whipped up a batch of them right then and there. Basically you make a dough for the crust and a filling. However the dough for the crust is divided in half and one half gets pressed down as crust and the other half gets crumbled on top as a topping. I like that it’s one dough but serves two purposes.
I really enjoyed these peach bars. They were easy to pick up and enjoy on the go or as a sweet breakfast. The peaches were sweet and really yummy. They worked well with the crumble topping and the delicate crust. I’d like to try these bars with another fruit but I’m not sure which one yet. In any case, they are easy to make and they are so good so make yourself a batch today!
For the crust:
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 2 1/2 c. peaches, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 9 baking dish with foil or parchment paper.
- To make the crust place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is the consistency of coarse sand. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the peaches and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Pour the flour mixture over top of the peaches and toss to combine.
- Pat half of the crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread the peach mixture evenly over the crust then crumble the remaining dough over top of the peaches.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into 16 bars and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from As Easy As Apple Pie
Portable Picnic Food
- Beauty and the Beat Rose Apple Tart by Simply Inspired Meals
- Carrot Kohlrabi Coleslaw by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pan Bagna by Our Good Life
- Peach Crumble Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sour Cream and Chive Deviled Eggs by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Spring Smörgåsbord by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Summer Pasta Salad by Sweet Beginnings
- Tuna Antipasto Salad by Art of Natural Living