It's December people so get it together! It's T-20 days until Christmas and I still have so much to do. There's baking, decorating, partying, Christmas cards, and present buying to do. As the holidays approach there are always two flavors that come to mind. I begin working with both gingerbread and eggnog.
This week Sunday Supper's theme is eggnog and I was excited to get started. Since I always think of these two flavors I decided to combine them into one tasty cookie. I made Gingerbread Bars with Eggnog Frosting.
Now I've made these twice in the last week, they are that good. The funny thing is that they turned out totally different both times I made them. They tasted the same but the first time I made them they were dense and had a strong gingerbread flavor. The consistency was almost like a fudge cookie. The second time I made them they were more cake like but still had a strong gingerbread flavor. They were really good both ways but I can't figure out what I did differently!
I actually made these for our annual Christmas party last night and my guests seemed to like them. They are so festive and perfect for the holidays. The cookie part is a straight up gingerbread bar while the frosting is a combination of buttercream and cream cheese frosting mixed together with eggnog. Then red and green sprinkles are put on top to make it even more festive!
The thing I really like about these cookies is that they are bar cookies so I can make one pan and get about 20 bars out of it. They are so easy to make and once the frosting and sprinkles go on they scream of the holidays. So make sure you make these for your next holiday party!
For the bars:
- ½ c. butter, softened
- ½ c. sugar
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons milk
For the frosting:
- 2 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 ½ c. powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons eggnog
- red and green sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9 pan (I used an 11 x 7) with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Add in the egg, vanilla, and molasses and mix until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the milk.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 23-27 minutes or until the edges begin to get golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting combine the cream cheese and butter in a bowl and mix until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and eggnog and mix until smooth.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cooled bars and sprinkle with the colored sprinkles.
- Cut into 20 bars.
Recipe adapted from A Kitchen Addiction