This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SamsClubMag #CollectiveBias
Did you know that August is Health Awareness Month? After being off 8 weeks this summer I am more than ready to get back to healthy living. Today I'm starting back to aerobics twice a week and we've started eating healthy again.
While at Sam's Club this weekend I picked up a copy of their Healthy Living Made Simple Magazine in the pharmacy. Inside was a spotlight on coconut as a superfood along with three delicious recipes. Coconut is rich in B vitamins, zinc, manganese, amino acids, and antioxidants. After looking at the recipes I was inspired to try a recipe of my own. Since Sam's Club is the place for everything I need to stay healthy and well, I decided to look around the store for the ingredients I needed to make my Gluten Free Blackberry Plum Muffins.
If you are wondering why I made gluten free muffins, the reason is simple. Coconut flour is gluten free so instead of adding a flour with gluten to it, I wanted to keep it gluten free. I also figured it wouldn't hurt to limit my gluten intake. As I headed down the baking aisle I spied a large jar of coconut oil for a great price and picked that up as well.
I knew I wanted to put some fresh fruit in my muffins and when I got to the produce section I picked up some plump and juicy blackberries but I wanted another fruit to go with it. After picking up apples then peaches, I settled on plums. I thought the sweet plums would pair nicely with the sweet and tart blackberries.
I used a combination of coconut flour, gluten free all purpose flour, and rice flour as the basis for my muffins. Then I added in the coconut oil and the fresh fruit. I baked them in the oven and they came out smelling amazing.
I wasn't sure how they were going to taste but they were delicious! The muffins were delicate and lightly sweetened. They were studded with the sweet and tart blackberries and delicious plums. They are going to be perfect for my school breakfast this week. They are gluten free, filled with healthy coconut flour and oil, and have tons of fresh fruit in them. Healthy never tasted so good!
- 1½ c. coconut flour
- ½ c. all purpose gluten free flour
- ½ c. rice flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- ¾ c. coconut oil, melted
- ½ c. honey (or sugar)
- 2 t. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¾ c. milk
- ½ c. blackberries, cut in half
- 2 small plums, chopped
- 2 T. coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ c. sugar
- ½ c. oats
- ⅓ c. coconut flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine the coconut flour, all purpose gluten free flour, rice flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the melted coconut oil and honey (or sugar). Mix well.
- Stir in the vanilla and eggs and mix well.
- Add the coconut oil mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just wet. Add in the milk and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the blackberries and plums. The batter will be thick.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ of the way full with the muffin batter.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the tops have browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tins for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make sure you head to Sam's Club and pick up your own copy of Healthy Living Made Simple Magazine. Sam's Club will also be having free health screenings on September 12, 2015. So stop into Sam's Club for everything you could possibly need to stay happy and well!
I've shared my coconut recipe now I want to know, how do you cook with coconut?