A few months back I was sent a box from Cake in a Crate that contained all the ingredients I needed to make Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons. I made them knowing I could share with my gluten free friends but I didn't think I'd like them all that much. Turns out I was very, very wrong!
The macaroons are made basically with coconut, almond flour, and homemade caramel. I wasn't sure how I could make caramel that was vegan and gluten free but the recipe used maple syrup, coconut cream, and coconut oil. I went ahead and made it and was pretty surprised when it turned into a gooey caramel that tasted great!
The macaroons themselves were simply made with unsweetened coconut, almond flour, and the homemade caramel. The mixture is rolled into balls and then baked. They look like they won't stay together but they do after baking. Make sure they cook long enough and turn brown on the bottom.
Once the cookies are cooled they are dipped into vegan chocolate. Then they are drizzled with the leftover caramel and sprinkled with sea salt. So not only are these gluten free but they are vegan and paleo as well. Let me tell you, I love these!
The cookies are lightly sweetened and crunchy. The dark chocolate mixed with the sweet caramel and the sea salt is amazing. I could eat 2 or 3 of these in one sitting. They go great with a cup of coffee. My gluten free friends loved them and have asked me to make them multiple times. So if you know someone who is eating gluten free, vegan, or paleo and is dying for a tasty treat, make sure to make them a batch of these macaroons!
- ¾ c. real maple syrup
- ¼ c. coconut cream
- 1 T. coconut oil
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ t. sea salt
- 3 c. unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ c. almond flour
- 1 T. sea salt
- ¼ c. vegan dark chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan combine the maple syrup, coconut cream, coconut oil.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to boil, stirring occasionally, over medium high heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and sea salt. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the coconut flakes and almond flour in a food processor and process until combined.
- Add all but ¼ cup of the caramel to the coconut mixture and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- Spoon one tablespoon of mixture onto a cookie sheet. Shape with your hands into a ball or long log. Repeat with remaining macaroon mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 seconds intervals, stirring after each heating, until melted.
- Dip the bottom of each macaroon into the chocolate mixture then place on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Drizzle the macaroons with the remaining caramel and sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to sit for 15 minutes or until the caramel and chocolate have hardened.