Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. The kids at school really get into it and I enjoy it as well. I love seeing all of the costumes, watching scary movies, and eating all the treats. While giving candy out on Halloween night is always fun I like to make treats for the kids at school too.
I like to make homemade treats but I don't always have time to make them from scratch. Instead of going to a bakery and buying cupcakes I'll grab a box mix and and while it's baking I'll make my own frosting and find some fun decorations. That's all you really need to make delicious cupcakes that look and taste like they are totally homemade.
I used a box of yellow cake mix but you can use your favorite flavor. Then I made a batch of buttercream frosting but it's fine to use a can of prepared frosting as well. I simply tinted the frosting green and picked up some gum paste tombstones for decorating. If you want to get really creative you can get some candy bones to put on top as well.
Decorating these cupcakes only took about 15 minutes. I simply spread on the green frosting then topped them with the tombstones. That's it! Simple cupcakes that are perfect for kids to help decorate and that they'll love to eat for Halloween!
- 1 Box of cake mix (your favorite flavor)
- 3 c. white frosting (homemade or store bought)
- Green food coloring
- 24 Halloween cupcake liners
- 24 gum paste tombstones
- Candy Bones (optional)
- Place the cupcake liners in a cupcake tin. Make and bake the cupcakes according to the package directions. Cool completely.
- Place the frosting in a bowl and add 5 drops of green food coloring. Mix well and put in a piping bag. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Place a gum paste tombstone on top of each cupcake. Add candy bones if desired.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Halloween Party Recipes
- Cream Cheese Wonton Bats by That Recipe
- Easy Mummy Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Graveyard Cupcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Halloween Rice Krispie Treats by Family Around the Table
- Meringue Ghost Cookies by Art of Natural Living
- Pasta and Eyeballs by Cheese Curd In Paradise