This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine
I am so excited to be participating in #HalloweenTreatsWeek this week! As you all know, Halloween is one of my absolute favorite holidays. I love dressing up at home and at school, seeing all the kids in costume, passing out candy, and making a ton of Halloween treats. Last year was super fun because J was old enough to go around to a few houses in the neighborhood and this year he will be extra excited to get the candy.
I wanted to start off the week with a bang so I’m sharing this incredible Candy Corn Layer Cake. It turned out so much better than I had even hoped! The cake is dense but delicious and it’s super fun since it’s colored and stacked like candy corn. The frosting is your basic buttercream except for a few hints of Wilton Orange Creme Decorating Icing.
So let’s talk about the actual cake. I flavored it with Adams Best Twice as Strong Vanilla because it really brings out the vanilla flavor. Then I colored the cakes with white, orange, and yellow gel food coloring. I simply put them in the oven, baked them, and let them cool. Next came the frosting which was also fun to make. I made a basic vanilla buttercream again using Adas Best Twice as Strong Vanilla and using Dixie Crystals Powdered Sugar. I kept half of the frosting white then colored a quarter yellow and a quarter orange.
When stacking the layers I had a fun thought that if the frosting was also candy corn colored it would be awesome. So what I did was pipe yellow frosting around the edge, then I used the Wilton Orange Creme decorating frosting which came with it’s own tip to pipe a second layer of frosting inside the first. This gave it additional color and it added some orange flavor to the cake. Then I filled in the rest with the white frosting and stacked the cakes.
Next I worked on the sides of the cake. I put the colored buttercream in Wilton All-In-One Disposable Decorating Bags with tips. I freaking love these bags. They are seriously my new favorite thing. The disposable tips are already in the bags so all you have to do is fill them. When you are done you pitch them. No mess, no fuss, no washing of bags or tips. It’s so awesome. Anyhow, I piped yellow frosting around the lower third of the cake, orange frosting around the middle, and white frosting at the top. Then I used a bench scraper to smooth and blend the colors. It’s such an awesome technique that I’ve been seeing on many of the baking shows these days.
Then I simply put white frosting all over the top and instead of worrying about decorating the top I simply dumped a 2 ounce bag of fun Halloween sprinkles on top! Then I dip alternating swirls of color as a border, stuck some candy corn in the swirls, and I had an awesome cake! I was pretty proud of myself for how cool it looked. Little did I know that when I cut into the cake it would look even better!
I was very excited about this cake but also a little concerned with the weight of it. I actually took it to my basement to weigh it and found that in total it weighed 6 and a half pounds! Thankfully we found a few friends to share the cake with and they raved about how good it was. I’ll be honest, I thought the buttercream was spot on and the cake itself had a nice vanilla flavor that paired well with the frosting. The hint of orange creme was just an added bonus.
So if you are looking for a cake that isn’t too hard to make but will totally wow your friends give this Candy Corn Layer Cake a try! You’ll be thanking me later!
A Hezzi-D Original recipe As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the Cake:
For the Frosting:
For the decoration:
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Chocolate Candy Witch Cauldrons from Big Bear’s Wife
- Candy Corn Fudge from Fake Ginger
- Candy Corn Layer Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candy Corn Cookie Bars from 4 Sons R Us
- Halloween Potato Eyes from Pastry Chef Online
- Monster Munch Chex Party Mix from I am a Honey Bee
- Gluten Free Chocolate Monster Cookies from Frugal & Fit
- Caramel Sprinkle Baked Donuts from Cookaholic Wife
- Ghostly Popcorn Balls from Our Good Life
- Hocus Pocus Spell Book Brownies from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mummy Cake Pops from Jen Around the World
- Zombie Chocolate Donuts from Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Black Cauldron Bubbly Cupcakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Boolicious Caramel Chocolate Covered Fruit from Everyday Eileen
- Jack-o-Lantern Candy Bark from Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Blossoms from For the Love of Food
- Monster Marshmallows from Shockingly Delicious
- Halloween Muddy Buddies from Back To My Southern Roots
- Mummy Crinkle Cookies from Creative Southern Home
- Sally’s Sugar Cookies from The Spiffy Cookie
- Eyeball Thumbprint Cookies from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Eye of Newt Halloween Wands from Who Needs A Cape?
- Halloween Brownie Pudding Parfait from Desserts Required
- Halloween No Bake Cheesecake from Lemon Blossoms
- Halloween Dipped Ice Cream Cones from West Via Midwest
- Pumpkin Soup with Savory Spices and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds from Nancie’s Table
- Halloween Stuffed Chocolate Whoopie Pies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Death by Chocolate Dessert Ball from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Jack o Lantern Bundt Cake from The Redhead Baker
- Frankenstein Cupcake Cake from Jonesin’ For Taste
- Chocolate Truffle Pumpkin Spider Cake from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Spooky Sprinkled Brownies from The Beard and The Baker
- Halloween Candy Charcuterie Board from Pint Sized Baker
- Halloween Monster Buttermilk Pancakes from Katie’s Cucina
- Sugar Skull Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Mummy Meringue Pops from My Sweet Zepol
- Halloween Hidden Bat Loaf Cat from Savory Moments
- Vegan Halloween Cookies & Cream Fault Line Cake from The Baking Fairy
- Halloween Corn Chip Dessert Bars from Intelligent Domestications
- Oogie Boogie Meringue Cupcakes from A Blender Mom
- Smores Ghost Brownies from Books n’ Cooks
Happy Halloween! It’s October which means it’s time for Spooky Season and this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 2nd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 41 fantastically talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 160 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away a “Dinner and Dessert Set” – ONE 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, a Pyrex mixing bowl set plus some fun Dixie Crystals items like a Dixie Crystal Apron and Cookbook!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Peppermint, 1.5oz Almond, 1 bottle vanilla cinnamon sugar, 1 bottle pumpkin pie spice
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Texturra 7-Piece Bakeware Set
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away a large baking box of goodies! Sweets and Treats will send one lucky winner a large assortment of sprinkles and lines and other samples of their products!
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a set of Holiday Treat Decorations (1 Gummy Assortment, 1 Marshmallow Snowman, 1 Toy Solider and 1 Gingerbread Men)
Prize # 6– Litehouseis giving away the following: 1 Litehouse® Honeycrisp Apple Cider, 1 Litehouse® Old Fashioned Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Pumpkin Spice Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Butterscotch Caramel & 1 Litehouse® Chocolate Dip, Snack Packs
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 7th – October 13th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, Treat Street USA and Litehouse! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.