After 3 ½ weeks of dreary weather the sun was finally shining on Friday! I was so happy to see it and I'm hoping that it means this is the beginning of summer. Of course I got a jump start on summer last week when I went to Orlando for Food and Wine Conference! Talk about fun in the sun! I had some amazing food, delicious drinks, saw some incredible people, and reunited with many of my friends. It was a weekend to remember and the weather was gorgeous! It definitely put me in the summer time mindset.
When I think of summer I think of sunshine, swimming, and grilled food. This week the Sunday Supper theme is Throw Something on the Barbie. My husband is the main grill master in our house but over the past 2 years I've been doing more and more grilling on my own. My favorite thing to grill is steak. I love the smell of a steak on the grill...yum! We also do a lot of corn and potatoes on the grill as well.
I wanted to do something different for this weeks theme. I thought about making a grilled dessert and almost went that way but I have a lot of cookies to make this weekend so I figured I'd just eat some of those. So I went a little crazy and made a Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria!
No you don't have to clean out your ears. I did say that I made a grilled beverage. In order to create this recipe I took peach halves and slices of pineapple and brushed them with a sweet cinnamon butter mixture. I put them on the grill and let them get charred then I cut them up. I mixed up the sangria, added most of the fruit, and put it in the refrigerator.
Before serving I skewered a few pieces of grilled pineapple and peaches and I was good to go! I found that both pineapple and peaches pair well with white wines though they paired best with different types. Instead of choosing the type I used CK Mondavi Blonde Five wine. It has five varietals and I thought it would work best with the grilled fruit sangria.
This is such a light and crisp sangria. It isn't too sweet which is what my husband and I look for in sangria. It's fruity without being overbearing. This is the perfect cocktail to sip on outside in the summertime. The grilled fruit add a lot of flavor and I loved the couple pieces sitting on top of the sangria. Since you can easily make a pitcher of it this is a great drink for parties and summer BBQ's as well.
- 1 bottle white wine
- ½ c. orange liqueur
- 2 c. light lemonade (or ½ c. lemon juice and ½ c. simple syrup)
- 3 peaches, pitted and cut in half
- ¼ of a pineapple cut into 3 or 4 strips
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large pitcher combine the wine, orange liqueur, and lemonade. Place in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl combine the melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium heat. Brush the cut side of the peaches with the butter mixture and brush the butter mixture all over the pineapple. Place the fruit on the grill.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes then turn the peaches ¼ of a turn and flip the pineapple over. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from grill.
- Slice the pineapple strips into 5 or 6 pieces each. Slice each peach half into 5 slices. Put ¾ of the pineapple and peaches into the sangria pitcher. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Before serving, skewer several pieces of the grilled pineapple and peaches on mini skewers. Pour the sangria into glasses filled with ice and place the fruit skewer on top.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe