It's been a few months since I've participated in the Creative Cookie Exchange. November and December really got me this year with the craziness of the holidays. I was baking so many cookies and cupcakes for orders that I didn't have much time to bake anything for myself!
Now that it's January and I'm back on track I'm making an effort to participate in my favorite foodie groups. The theme for this month is Hearts and Love. Since Valentine's Day is coming I've been working on a few recipes and already knew which one I wanted to try.
I found these fun lemon meltaway cookies that could be shaped or used in a spritz cookie press. Since I don't have a cookie press I figured I could make them and use a cookie cutter to make them into hearts. I love the fresh taste of citrus in a cookie and thought it would be a fun surprise in a heart shaped cookie.
These cookies were a cinch to make! They have just 5 ingredients, bake up in 10 minutes, and cool very quickly. I added a light lemon glaze and some fun Valentine's Day sprinkles on top. The cookie were light, lemony, and totally delicious! Make these for someone special this Valentine's Day.
For the cookies:
- 12 Tablespoons butter, softened
- ⅔ c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ c. flour
For the glaze:
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrres.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in the flour until a soft dough forms. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Sprinkle a surface with powdered sugar and roll to ¼ inch thickness. Cut out into heart shapes. Roll the dough again and cut out more heart shapes.
- Place the heart shaped cookies onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Spread a teaspoon of glaze on top of each cookie and immediately sprinkle with the sprinkles. Allow the glaze to set for 15 minutes before eating or storing.
Recipe adapted from Love Foodies
It is late January guys and you know what that means! Soon love will be in the air! Too corny? OK fine, but we all know Valentine’s Day is about to start trending, and we have the perfect cookies! Hearts, love, anything symbolizing hearts and love, we have it all! Check out our hearts and love cookies below and maybe make them for your loved ones!