I can't believe I'm saying this but I only used my slow cooker a handful of times this summer. Usually it is a go to for me in the summer so that I don't have to turn on the oven but this year we did a lot of grilling and stove top cooking. But that doesn't mean I didn't use it at all.
One of the most recent slow cooker recipes I made was a Honey Balsamic and Chipotle Pulled Pork Tacos recipe. I saw it on one of my friends blogs and I immediately knew I had to make it. I'm not sure what was so appealing about it that made me have to have it but it happened and I put it on the menu the very next week.
I do a lot of pork in the slow cooker because I think it really makes it tender and delicious. With a little sauce it ends up staying pretty moist as well. This recipe has a sauce that combines the balsamic vinegar, sweet orange juice, and spicy chipotle chiles. There's also a little bit of honey in it. It was just an overall delicious marinade that added sweetness and spiciness to the meat.
Once the meat is cooked I shredded it and got to work making the sauce. The sauce is a simple combination of sour cream and chipotles. It's a spicy yet cooling sauce which goes really well with the tacos.
Of course we piled in some cheese, salsa, and lettuce into the tacos and then put the sauce on top. My husband added a few jalapenos as if the chipotles didn't make it spicy enough! I thought these were super flavorful and the sauce on top was the perfect compliment to it.
These tacos are so easy to make and are great to put in the slow cooker before work and to come home to dinner. Hands on time was less than 20 minutes and I had a delicious dinner on the table in minutes. We served this with rice and it was just about perfect.
Honey Balsamic and Chipotle Pulled Pork Tacos
A sweet and spicy shredded pork taco with a spicy yet cool sauce on top.
- 2 lb. pork loin or pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- ⅓ c. balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- ¼ c. orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- ½ c. water
- 12 flour tortillas
- ½ c. light sour cream
- 1 chiptole in adobo, minced
- 1 c. Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1 c. salsa
- 1 c. lettuce, shredded
- Rub the pork with salt and pepper and place in a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl combine the honey, vinegar, garlic, chipotles, orange juice, lime juice, and water. Mix well and pour over top of the pork.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Shred the pork in the slow cooker.
- To make the sauce simply combine the sour cream and chipotle in a bowl and mix until combined.
- To assemble the tacos place shredded meat in the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese, a dollop of salsa, and sprinkle with lettuce. Roll the taco up and drizzle with the sour cream sauce.
Recipe adapted from Sweet Beginnings
Leave a Reply