Can you believe it's almost the end of the summer? I know it's getting close when melons come in season here in our small town. We are usually a month or so behind everyone else so while I've been buying cheap melons at the market for a while now, fresh melons just started showing up at the farmers market.
One of my favorite things to do with melons is to cut them up in a fruit salad. I love how juicy and refreshing they can be. They are also great to put in smoothies. Then there is Agua Fresca, the refreshing summer beverage made with fresh fruit and water and lightly sweetened with sugar.
I am absolutely crazy for Agua Fresca, especially made with melons. While I've made it with other fruit, melons yield a lot more liquid when they are blended and put through a sieve. Of course it's nice to blend the melons with other fruits to give it a blend of flavors. I've been experimenting with melons and different fruits and this is one of the best ones yet.
The Honeydew Pineapple Agua Fresca has the refreshing and lightly sweet flavor of honeydew combine with the sweet and tart flavor of pineapple. I added in a touch of sugar for sweetness and a bit of lime juice for some tartness. Since there is plenty of mint growing in my garden I through in a handful of that as well.
The result is a lovely light green colored beverage that is perfectly balanced in flavor. Because it isn't too sweet it's really refreshing. Plus you get all the nutrients from the fresh fruit but in a delicious beverage. If you don't like pineapple try pairing this honeydew beverage with cucumbers or oranges for a different flavor.
- ½ large honeydew, seeded, skinned, and chopped
- 1 c. pineapple, chopped
- 6 c. water, divided
- ¼ c. mint
- ¼ c. lime juice
- ½ c. sugar, divided
- In a blended combine the honeydew, pineapple, 1 cup of water, mint, lime juice, and ¼ cup of sugar. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer allowing the liquid to go into a large bowl. Swirl around the solid parts and press until most of the liquid is out.
- Scoop the fruit solids back into the blender with 1 cup of water. Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer allowing the liquid to go into a large bowl. Swirl around the solid parts and press until most of the liquid is out. Discard solids.
- Pour the liquid into a large pitcher. Add remaining water and sugar and mix well.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe