This winter sip on a Hot Spiced Cranberry Drink which is a tart cranberry drink mixed with orange juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg, then sweetened with brown sugar for the perfect warming beverage.
Once the weather starts turning chilly I start looking for beverages to warm me up. My son likes to play outside and one of the only ways I can keep warm is by putting a hot beverage in a thermos and carrying it with me. I usually do coffee but in the evenings I need something without all the caffeine.
I recently bought a bag of fresh cranberries at the market and have been in the mood to make something with them. I started thinking about beverages and one thing led to another and I came up with this Hot Spiced Cranberry Beverage.
This drink is easy to make and you can scale it to however many people want a cup of it. I started by thinking I was going to make the drink using the fresh cranberries but I realized that would take to long and went for cranberry juice instead.
I mixed together cranberry juice, orange juice, a splash of lemon juice, and added in some brown sugar to sweeten it up. Then I added cinnamon and nutmeg to it. I simmer the beverage for about ten minutes and then poured it into two mugs.
I garnished it with fresh cranberries which really made it feel festive. This is one of my favorite caffeine free hot beverages. It's tart but sweet and is filled with spices. It was the perfect beverage to warm up with during this cold weather.
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- Feel free to use your favorite spices in this beverage. Anise, cloves, cardamom, or allspice would be great in this beverage.
- You can tweak the amount of brown sugar used to fit your tastes. I don't like drinks too sweet but you can always use more.
- 2 c. cranberry juice
- ½ c. orange juice
- 1 c. water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- fresh cranberries
- In a medium saucepan combine the cranberry juice, orange juice, water, lemon juice, and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Heat over medium high heat and stir until brown sugar has dissolved.
- Add in the cinnamon sticks, cinnamon, and nutmeg and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the fresh cranberries to the pan and give them a stir to warm them up.
- Pour into two glasses and enjoy.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 4gSugar: 53gProtein: 2g
Thursday Cranberry Recipes
- Cranberry Jalapeno Brie Bites by Sweet Beginnings
- Cranberry Meatball Appetizer by Our Good Life
- Cranberry Orange Nutty Brownie Balls by The Freshman Cook
- Cranberry Orange Turnovers by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Cranberry Rosemary One Pan Chicken by Making Miracles
- Hot and Sweet Cranberry Dates Chutney by Magical Ingredients
- Hot Spiced Cranberry Drink by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Puff Pastry Cranberry Brie Bites by Our Crafty Mom