As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I like making desserts for the holidays. That’s not a secret. But sometimes I just can’t eat anymore sweets. This was one of those months. So when I went looking for Easter recipes I didn’t go right to the desserts. I still wanted something fun but I wanted it to be more savory.
I found the perfect Easter bread. I actually made something similar two years ago but this one was neat because it was individual sized. The bread is similiar to Challah bread in that it uses butter, eggs, and some sugar. I think it adds a little more sugar then traditional bread, but it’s so good.
The cool thing is that you have to dye raw eggs for this recipe. After they are dyed you place them in the dough. Then you brush the dough with egg wash, sprinkle on some colorful sprinkles, and bake! When the loaves come out each braided bread has a colored hard boiled egg baked right in the middle of it!
The braided breads are a little big for one person so what I did was give one to each couple. They could enjoy their bread and share the egg if they wanted. It is a slightly sweet bread and is awesome with either honey butter or just regular butter. It is super tender and tastes amazing.
- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 1 1/4 c. warm milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 c. butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 3 1/2-4 1/2 c. flour
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon of water)
- 6 uncooked Easter eggs, dyed
- Mix together the yeast, milk, salt, butter, eggs, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add two cups of flour and beat until smooth.
- Continue to add the remaining flour just until a dough forms. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Add more dough as needed.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl, turning once to coat both sides.
- Place a tea towel on top of the bowl and allow it to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours. or until doubled.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 14 inch rope.
- Twist two of the ropes together to form a braid. Place the ends together and pinch to form a circle. Repeat with remaining dough ropes. Place the circle bread on the lined baking sheet. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush the tops of the bread with egg wash. Sprinkle with the sprinkles.
- Place one decorated egg in the center of each dough. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Recipe from Seeded at the Table
More Spring Bread Recipes:
- Bacci Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Casatiello by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cornish Saffron Easter Bread by Pastry Chef Online
- Hungarian Egg Twist by Hostess at Heart
- Lambropsomo – Greek Easter Bread by Spice Roots
- Mennonite Paska by Food Lust People Love
- Pane di Pasqua – Italian Easter Bread Wreath by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Strawberry Fritters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings