As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Going back to work has been crazy. I was busy enough as it is just staying home with baby J. Now that I’m back to work I have an even harder time making dinner when I get home. My husband and I usually take turns cooking but I have to say I really miss it.
The Instant Pot has really helped me get back into cooking. It’s so easy to throw things in there and in under 30 minutes I have a delicious meal. Plus my husband thinks that cleaning the Instant Pot is much easier then the slow cooker so he likes it better as well.
Another thing that I like about the Instant Pot is most of the prep is under 15 minutes. That means I can put baby J in an infant carrier and he can help me make our dinner. He is really getting interested in what I’m doing when I cook in the kitchen and I love having him with me and explaining everything to him even if he doesn’t understand.
This meal was easy to make and I simply served it over top of rice. The only problem with it is that you have to marinate the chicken overnight. I recommend you do this because while the peppers and sauce have a ton of flavor, the chicken won’t unless you marinate it overnight.
I used chicken thighs because they have more flavor and turned out super tender. I was cutting them apart with my fork when they came out of the Instant Pot. The sauce is slightly spicy, a little smokey, and has a lot of citrus flavor. It’s really yummy served over top of rice.
I actually use the ready rice that goes in the microwave. It’s easy to use, tastes great, and is ready in just 90 seconds. In the past I’ve tended to forget to cook the rice then dinner was ready and we were always waiting for the rice. Now all I need is 2 minutes and we have the rice we need with our dinner.
- 1/2 c. lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- 2 lb. boneless chicken thighs
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl combine the lime juice, olive oil, jalapenos, garlic, honey, salt, pepper, chili powder, and cilantro. Mix well.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large zip top bag and pour the marinade over top. Seal and refrigerate over night.
- Place the trivet inside the Instant Pot. Place steamer basket on top of the trivet. Pour in the chicken broth. Arrange the chicken thighs and peppers on top of the steamer basket. Pour marinade over top of the chicken and peppers.
- Press the pressure cook button and adjust time to 15 minutes on high. When the timer beeps let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Serve the chicken and peppers on top of rice with sauce that is in the pot.
Recipe adapted from The I Love My Instant Pot Recipe Book by Michelle Fagone.