It's been insanely cold here the last few weeks. I'm talking a real temperature below zero and the windchill around -20 to -30 degrees. I've had a lot of delays at work and even a day off due to the temperatures. I know a lot of parents get mad when we have the day off for cold weather but some kids don't have the type of winter weather coats and clothes needed in this weather and can't afford to buy it so it's not safe to have them stand out in the cold waiting for a bus.
All of that to say its been cold. I've been wanting a warm bowl of soup but haven't had the time to make it. However, I got 3 Instant Pot cookbooks for Christmas and they all have a soup section in them. I decided to try Instant Pot Potato Soup first because I figured if it didn't work the ingredients don't cost much so I wouldn't be out much money.
I chopped up the potatoes and vegetables while J was taking a nap. Then when he woke up he was a good helper when I was making the soup. I love that the Instant Pot has a saute feature. I was able to saute all of the vegetables in the pot and then add the rest of the ingredients to make the soup.
In about 20 minutes my soup was finished. The potatoes were tender and the broth was so flavorful! I was surprised by how much flavor was packed into the soup in such a small amount of time.
While the soup was delicious made according to the recipe, I added a half cup of instant potatoes to thicken it up. I could have blended the soup to thicken it but I like the chunks of vegetables in it but I also like it thicker. Instant potatoes add additional flavor and thickness to the soup.
When we were ready to eat the Instant Pot Potato Soup I served it with cheddar cheese and sour cream. Crumbled bacon would be good on top of it as well. I love how fast and easy this was to make plus it made enough that we had lunch for the next day as well!
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 c. milk
- ½ c. instant potato flakes
- cheddar cheese and sour cream for serving
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot and add the butter. Once it has melted add in the onion, carrots, and celery and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute one minute.
- Add in the potatoes and saute for 3 additional minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, pepper, and nutmeg. Lock the lid.
- Press the Soup button and put the timer at 20 minutes. When the timer beeps quick release the pressure and then unlock the lid.
- Add in the milk and instant potato flakes and stir well.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream.
Recipe adapted from The "I Love my Instant Pot" Recipe Book by Michelle Fagone