As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Winter is here and that means it’s Florida Strawberry season! Last January I was lucky enough to go to Florida for a weekend and learn all about Florida Strawberries. It was a great time and I learned about how the are grown, how they are packaged for delivery, and the fact that the Florida Strawberry growing season is from December through April.
I was also able to try some delicious strawberry foods and beverages. There was strawberry pizza, strawberry crisp, strawberries and champagne, and even burgers with strawberries! It’s so fun finding new ways to use my favorite fruit in my cooking and baking. I also love being able to go to my local market and pick up fresh, sweet Florida Strawberries when the weather is cold and snowy outside.
I’ve been making a lot of easy and healthy recipes the last few months. My favorites are snacks and appetizers that I can make one day then enjoy whenever I’ve hungry over the next few days. I love this Chicken and Strawberry Caprese Wonton Cups recipe.
So why did I choose strawberries in my caprese recipe instead of tomatoes? Well one reason is that I don’t really like tomatoes all that much. Plus, did you know that just eight medium strawberries contain more vitamin C than one orange? I can easily eat eight strawberries as a snack! Strawberries are also virtually fat free and contain no cholesterol so they are a delicious and healthy treat!
To make these tasty Caprese Wonton Cups I simply put eggroll wrappers in a muffin tin and baked. You can use wonton wrappers as well. Then I filled them with a yummy combination of chicken, strawberries, and mozzarella tossed in balsamic vinegar and topped off with basil. They look pretty, the sweet and savory combination tastes great, and they are good for you!
I like adding in the chicken because it makes the wonton cups a little more filling. The mozzarella adds calcium and a cheesy flavor while the basil adds a pop of color. The strawberries add sweetness and are a good source of potassium. The wonton cups adds a nice crunch to finish off this appetizer.
- 1/2 lb. chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 24 wonton or eggroll wrappers
- 1 1/2 c. Florida Strawberries, chopped
- 4 oz. mini mozzarella balls
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 c. fresh basil, chiffoned
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute until completely cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray 2 muffin tins with cooking spray. If using wonton cups place them in the muffin tins and shape as a cup. If using eggroll wrappers cut one inch off the top and one inch off the side then fit into the cups. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Remove from the muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl combine the Florida Strawberries, mozzarella balls, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the strawberries and mix until combined.
- Spoon one tablespoon of the chicken strawberry mixture into each wonton cup. Sprinkle with the basil. Serve immediately.
- **To make ahead of time make the wonton cups and place in a plastic bag until ready to use. Mix the strawberry and chicken mixture and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. Assemble the wonton cups when ready to enjoy**
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe