It's time for another recipe swap hosted by A Taste of Home Cooking and this week the theme is cooking with alcohol! Fun theme right? I was excited to get my recipe and when I received Kahlua Mudslide Brownies from Cookies on Friday I was thrilled! I just happen to have open bottles of both Kahlua and Irish Cream so I made the brownies almost immediately after receiving the recipe.
I want to start by saying I love the texture of the brownies. They are soft and dense and have strong tastes of both coffee and chocolate. They were wonderful without the frosting but throw the coffee frosting on top and they are perfect with a strong cup of coffee.
And since I can't leave anything alone, the day after I made them I was making chocolate covered pretzels and had leftover melted chocolate. Without a second thought I chocolate dipped half a dozen of these babies and OH MY GOODNESS those things should be illegal. I'm not kidding. Chocolate covered coffee brownies are insanely good.
Kahlua Mudslide Brownies (adapted from Cookies on Friday)
2 c. flour
½ t. baking powder
½ t. salt
1 t. espresso powder
⅔ c. butter
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 ½ c. sugar
4 T. Kahlua
2 T. Irish cream
1 ¼ c. powdered sugar
3 T. strong coffee
1 t. vanilla
4 oz. milk chocolate (if you want to make chocolate covered brownies)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder. Set aside.
3. In the microwave heat the butter and chocolate together in 30 second intervals until they are completely melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl combine the sugar and eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in the chocolate mixture and mix well. Add in the flour mixture, Kahlua, and Irish Cream and mix until just combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
6. To make the glaze combine the powdered sugar, coffee, and vanilla in a bowl and stir until smooth. Pour over top of the brownies and spread evenly. Allow the frosting to cool and firm up.
7. Cut the brownies into 24 squares.
8. If desired, heat the chocolate in 30 second intervals in a microwave until just melted. Cut each brownie square in half and dip into the chocolate. Coat on all sides and then gently tap on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Set on waxed paper to harden. Enjoy with coffee or milk.
Coleen @ The Redhead Baker
I think Mudslides were one of the first alcoholic beverages I ever had. I still love them! These brownies sound delicious!
Drool.... these sound so good. Thank you for the great country club chicken recipe!
Wow, I bet those were great covered in chocolate! I'm glad you liked the recipe.
These look amazing! Perfectly rich and chocolately.
Those sound heavenly!!
Kim (Feed Me, Seymour)
Holy cow, I am absolutely dying over these. They look so decadent and delicious!