t's my 6th Blogiversary! Can you believe I've been blogging for 6 years? In one way it's hard to believe that I've been working on this "little blog" for that long. On the other hand I really can't remember a time when I haven't been blogging. In fact, I have well over 1500 recipes on Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks today!
Today I'm sharing a cake recipe because I think every celebration needs cake! Since it's summer I didn't want to make anything too heavy and this Lemon Lavender Bundt Cake is perfect. The cake has the base of my favorite vanilla party cake with the addition of lemon juice, lemon zest, and fresh lavender.
I've been growing lavender in my yard for the past few years and have used it several times in my baked goods. A few weeks ago I went with my friends to a lavender farm and saw all the bright beautiful purple lavender bushes. While mine aren't nearly that large, I still had plenty to use in my cake. I feel that the lavender adds a nice floral note to the tart lemon flavor.
In addition to putting lavender in the actual cake batter, I made a lavender simple syrup that I brushed over top of the cake once it had cooled to give it more flavor. Then I finished off the cake with a light lemon glaze. I ended up sprinkling the top of the cake with yellow and purple sprinkles which made it look really delicious.
This cake is great. It was lightly flavored with the lemon and the lavender came through from the simple syrup. The lemon glaze was bright and refreshing. I like that this cake isn't overly sweet which makes it perfect for summer celebrations.
Lemon Lavender Bundt Cake
Love this fresh Lemon Lavender Cake brushed with lavender syrup and a lemon glaze.
For the cake:
- 3 c. flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 c. light sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons lavender, chopped
For the lavender syrup:
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. water
- 2 Tablespoons lavender, chopped
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lavender syrup
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a Bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Stir in the lemon juice, sour cream, lemon zest, and lavender.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Place the cake in the pan on a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes. Then run a butter knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Flip the pan over to release the cake. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the syrup combine the sugar, water, and lavender in a small saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes then remove from heat. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then brush the syrup all over the cake, reserving 1 tablespoon of the syrup.
- To make the glaze combine the butter and milk in the bowl of a mixer and beat until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar, a half cup at a time, until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the lemon juice and the reserved lavender syrup.
- Spread the thick glaze over top of the cake allowing some to run down the sides. Sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles if desired.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
What's a celebration without some great party recipes? Today I have 9 fabulous blogger friends helping my celebrate my 6 year Blogiversary. In addition to sponsoring a great giveaway, they have also made some fun and festive recipes for the occasion. Make sure to check them out:
- Lemon Lavender Bundt Cake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- No-Churn Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake from Jenni Field's Pastry Chef Online
- Coconut Dream Cookies from Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- Salty Dog with with Fennel and Rosemary from Platings and Pairings
- Easy Strawberry Lattice Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Frozen Hot Chocolate from The Heritage Cook
- Boozy Blackberry Beer Cocktail from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- White Chocolate Banana Hoecake from Nik Snacks
- Chocolate Banana Naked Cake from Brunch-n-Bites
Jane, The Heritage Cook
What a lovely cake Heather, the perfect way to celebrate your blogiversary! This would not last a day in our house!
Erin @ Platings and Pairings
What a beautiful cake! The colors remind me a bit of Mardi Gras - Love the purple and yellow! Happy Bloggiversary to you!!!
Happy, happy Blogiversary, Heather! I am so honored to help you celebrate! Cake-cake and ice cream cake: a match made in heaven! Hope you have a wonderful day!
Thanks Jenni! I agree, perfect pair!
Lovely cake Heather! Congratulations of 6 years blogging and sharing your delicious recipes with us!