Poke cakes are a great way to turn a boxed cake mix into something spectacular and can be topped with a variety of different frosting combinations. I used lime gelatin in my poke cake because I made it for St. Patrick's Day but you can use your favorite gelatin flavor.
I'll be the first to say that Poke Cakes aren't my favorite because they use a boxed cake mix. The saving characteristic is the flavor of the gelatin and the frosting. You can make so many amazing combination with a vanilla or yellow cake base.
Poke Cakes are also great if you are short on time or a beginning baker because they taste great but are super simple to make. They are a good choice to take to a party or picnic because they travel easily as well.
For my lime poke cake I used a yellow cake base and made it according to the boxes directions. Once it had cooled a bit I mixed up some lime gelatin and poured it over top of the cake and refrigerated it until it was set.
For the frosting I used a combination of Cool Whip and powdered sugar. I've found that the powdered sugar thickens up the Cool Whip to the point where it looks and almost tastes like marshmallows and that works with this cake. I frosted the cake after it cooled and then put St. Patrick's Day sprinkles on top.
I took the cake to school with me where it was a hit. The teachers liked the lime and vanilla combination and gobbled it up. I would definitely make this again for a holiday party!
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- Place the cake in the freezer for 15 minutes before frosting to keep the frosting from sticking to the cake.
- Lemon flavored cake would be an awesome substitution for the yellow cake if you are looking to take this cake to a summer picnic.
- Change out the gelatin flavor and sprinkle colors to make this cake for any holiday or themed celebration.
More Poke Cake Recipes:
A Hezzi-D Original recipe As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Celebrating St. Patrick's Day!
- Beer Battered Bangers by Palatable Pastime
- Boxty by Magical Ingredients
- Irish Soda Bread Muffins by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lime Poke Cake by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Nana's Potato Pancakes by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Raisin Irish Soda Bread by Art of Natural Living
- Shephard's Pie by That Recipe