My sister-in-law’s birthday was a few months ago. Since I make most of the cakes for my family members I decided I better ask if she wanted me to make her one this year. When I asked my mom she told me that Diana loves Minions and it would be cute to make her a Minion cake. I figured that would be easy enough and agreed to do it.
I then texted my brother to see what type of cake she would like. His answer was anything but vanilla. Not much help so I asked him specifically and he told me anything with chocolate, coffee, or hazelnut. I thought that was odd since he can’t have chocolate but I decided to go for a chocolate cake with Nutella filling and buttercream frosting.
I made the chocolate cake in a 9 x 13 pan with rounded edged. It baked up nicely and after it cooled I cut it in half and spread on the Nutella frosting. I wanted to put chocolate filling on the cake but since Minion’s are yellow I couldn’t figure out any way to do that. Instead I just made buttercream frosting, dyed it yellow, and spread that on.
The cake was actually really easy to make. There were only a few details needed to make the cake. I used black chocolate for the google strap and white chocolate for the glasses. Chocolate kisses were used for the buttons on the pants.
I think it turned out super cute and my sister-in-law loved it! My mom took the leftovers into school with her and the students thought it was pretty great too.
- 3½ c. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1½ c. butter (3 sticks), softened
- 1¾ c. sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla
- ⅓ c. cocoa powder
- 1 c. milk
- 3 sticks butter
- 4-5 c. powdered sugar
- 1 T. vanilla
- ⅓ c. Nutella
- yellow and blue food coloring
- 3 chocolate kisses
- ½ c. chocolate melts
- ½ c. white chocolate melts
- silver sprinkles
- 1 circular cookie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- Mix the cocoa powder into the butter and egg mixture and stir well.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir well. Add in half the milk and mix well. Stir in ⅓ of the flour mixture, mixing well, and then the remaining milk. Stir well and add the remaining flour. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Pour the batter into a 9 x 13 pan lined with foil.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack. Once cool use the foil to lift the cake out of the pan. Cut the cake lengthwise in half and set aside.
- In a large bowl use a mixer to beat the butter. Add the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, mixing after each addition until the frosting is thick. Stir in the vanilla.
- Remove 1 cup of frosting and mix in the Nutella. You may need to add additional powdered sugar.
- Spread the Nutella frosting in between the cake layers. Put the cake back together and place on a cake board.
- Place 1 cup of frosting in a small bowl and tint it light blue. Remove 3 tablespoons of the white frosting and set aside. Tint the remaining frosting yellow.
- Frost the entire cake with the yellow frosting.
- About ¼ of the way up from the bottom "draw" a scooping line with a toothpick. Cover the bottom ¼ with the blue frosting.
- Place two chocolate kisses on the pants, one on each side.
- Take the circular cookie and cover it with the white frosting. Place a chocolate kiss upside down off center in the frosting and set aside.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals, stirring after each time, until melted. Place in a zip top baggie, cut off the corner, and pipe a ½ inch thick white chocolate circle bigger then the cookie. Immediately sprinkle with silver sprinkles. Let harden 15 minutes.
- Place the frosting covered cookie in the top center of the cake. Gently lift the white chocolate and silver circle and place it around the "eye".
- Melt the chocolate melts in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals, stirring after each time, until melted. Place in a zip top baggie, cut off the corner, and pipe an outline around the pants.
- Pipe a half smile on one half of the face.
- Pipe the google headstrap on the cake and fill it in with remaining melted chocolate.
- Place the cake someplace cool to set before serving.
Decorating idea from Betty Crocker