Last weekend I decided I needed to cook the turkey breast in our freezer. I know it was only 2 weeks before Thanksgiving but I thought it would be fun to have a few friends over and have a Thanksgiving dinner with them. For the meal I made a turkey breast, rosemary mashed potatoes, stuffing, and peach pie for dessert. Since there were only 4 of us we had plenty of leftovers for the next day.
This was the perfect opportunity to come up with a way to re-purpose the leftovers. Even better the theme for this week's #SundaySupper is Thanksgiving leftovers. I looked at the stuffing but couldn't think of anything to make with it. I started thinking of things to do with mashed potatoes and realized they would be great twice baked.
Enter twice baked mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes are mixed with cheese, bacon, chives, and vegetables then baked in muffin cups to make individual portions. My husband loved that I re-purposed our leftovers into a delicious new side dish. The potatoes were cheesy and slightly smokey from the bacon. They had a whole new dimension to them and we both really enjoyed them.
Mashed Potatoes Twice Baked (adapted from Food.com)
4 c. mashed potatoes
4 slices bacon
½ c. onion, chopped
½ c. red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. cheddar cheese
½ t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1 t. paprika
4 chives, sliced on a diagonal
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Cook the bacon in a medium skillet until it is browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Once drained crumble the bacon.
3. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from the skillet. Add the onion and red pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add in the garlic and saute for an additional minute.
4. In a large bowl combine the mashed potatoes, red pepper mixture, the crumbled bacon, and half of the cheese. Mix well. Stir in the salt, pepper, and paprika.
5. Spoon the mashed potatoes into the muffins cups so that they are full. Top off with remaining cheese.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges are browned. Remove from oven and top with sliced chives.
Want to see more ideas for Thanksgiving leftovers? Check out the rest of the #SundaySupper posts this week!
Breakfast & Brunch
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls by Juanita’s Cocina
- Turkey Cranberry Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Sweet Potato Biscuits by Home Cooking Memories
- Turkey Enchiladas by Webicurean
- Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole by FamilyFoodie
- Turkey and Cranberry Monte Cristo by Supper for a Steal
- Thanksgiving hangover sandwich by Crispy Bits & Burt Ends
- Turkey Tamale Pie by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Pot Pie by I Run For Wine
- Turkey and Stuffing Pasty by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich by Daily Dish Recipes
- Turkey Vegetable Hash by Generation Y Foodie
- Turkey Tetrazzini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey and Andouille Gumbo for #SundaySupper by Catholic Foodie
- Red Potato Turkey Cutlets with Ginger & Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Thanksgiving Turkey Banh Mi Sandwich by 30AEats
- Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo by My Catholic Kitchen
- Turkey Mornay Open-Face Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes and Beef Croquettes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Simple and easy! Turkey a la king, fit for a queen! by Midlife Road Trip
- Turkey and Mushroom Risotto by Comfy Cuisine
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Kartoffelpuffer – German Potato Pancakes by MrsMamaHen
- Skillet Turkey Reuben by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- # glutenfree Turkey Shepard’s Cake by Cooking Underwriter
- Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Flatbread Pizza by Damn Delicious
- Turkey shepards pie! by The Realistic Nutritionist
- Turkey & Cranberry Panini with Tarragon Aioli by The Messy Baker Blog
Soups, Salads, Sides & Starters
- Gluten Free Turkey and Dumplings by The Meltaways
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Shallots and Pancetta by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Curried Turkey Salad by Kimchi Mom
- Potato Patties w/ Tomato Salsa by La Cocina De Leslie
- Spicy Coconut Turkey Soup by Diabetic Foodie
- Mashed Potatoes Twice Baked by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Moroccan Chicken Salad with Rice by My Trial’s in the Kitchen
- Cranberry Barbecue Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Olive Tapenade by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Leftover Turkey Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Bread Pudding by MarocMama
Sweets & Desserts
- Cranberry Sauce Crumb Bars by girlichef
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Sweet Potato Spice Cake with Pecan Streusel Topping by Shockingly Delicious
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Potato Frosting by Yummy Smells
Wine Pairings for the Recipes Featured
- Wine Pairings for Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog