This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #Brunchweek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Once the weather begins to warm up I start thinking about sipping on cocktails. In the summer I like to invite my girl friends over a couple of times for either brunch or happy hour and I like to make a signature cocktail and some appetizers. I’ve made so many different cocktails that sometimes it’s hard to come up with new ideas.
I saw Meyer Lemons on sale at the market this past week and bought a bag of them. I really like Meyer Lemons because while they still have the tart flavor of a lemon they have a bit of sweetness to them as well. They are great in baked goods, beverages, and even dressings.
I thought a Meyer Lemon Margarita would be the perfect cocktail for my next ladies brunch. Think fresh Meyer lemon juice, tequila, and sparkling water served on the rocks with a salt rim. It’s the perfect combination of sweet, tart, and salty.
To make the actual margarita I squeezed fresh Meyer Lemon juice and mixed it with the tequila and orange liqueur. Instead of simply adding in a big of sugar I made an easy simple syrup with Meyer Lemon peel, Dixie Crystals sugar, and water. It makes about a cup and is great to use in cocktails, lemonades, iced teas, or even to brush on a cake.
This cocktail is tasty and packs a bit of a punch. It’s perfect to serve at brunch with a fruit salad, fruit pastries, or with a quiche made with chorizo. There are so many different brunch items you can pair with this Meyer Lemon Margarita both sweet and savory.
- ½ c. Dixie Crystals sugar
- 1 c. water
- rind of 2 Meyer lemons
- 2 oz. fresh Meyer Lemon juice
- 2 oz. tequila
- 2 oz. orange liqueur
- 1 oz. Meyer Lemon simple syrup
- 6 oz. sparkling water
- rosemary sprigs
- To make the simple syrup combine the sugar, water, and Meyer lemon rind in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes. Remove the rind from the pan and pour the syrup into a small mason jar.
- To make the margaritas fill a shaker with ice. Add in the Meyer Lemon juice, tequila, orange liqueur, and Meyer Lemon simple syrup. Shake vigorously for 30 second.
- Pour the mixture into two glasses filled with ice and rimmed with salt.
- Add 3 ounces of sparkling water to each cocktail and stick in a sprig of rosemary.
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Iced Lavender Latte from The Baking Fairy
Mango Lemonade Cocktail from Kate’s Recipe Box
Mango Wine Spritzer from April Golightly
Meyer Lemon Margarita from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Strawberry Lassi from Tip Garden
BrunchWeek Appetizers and Salads:
Breakfast Salad from Simply Healthyish Recipes
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Breakfast Poutine from The Redhead Baker
This recipe is intended for individuals ages 21 & up. Please drink responsibly. Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Joyjolt, Sweets & Treats, Torani, Sarcastic Cooking, Dessert for Two, Sweet Phi, and The Little Ferraro Kitchen for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own.