This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #Brunchweek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
While I typically prefer sweet breakfast foods I do believe that every brunch needs to have at least one savory item and it should always include eggs. Since I'm not a huge egg fan I always bake mine into a casserole with lots of yummy ingredients. Brunch eggs need to have a meat, a cheese, and a variety of herbs or seasonings.
For this casserole I started out with a packaged of hot sausage. If you don't have hot sausage you can use chorizo or andouille. Then I paired that with Cabot 4 Cheese Mexican cheese and Cabot Two State Farmers Shredded Cheddar Cheese. I thought a blend of Mexican cheeses couldn't be wrong with spicy sausage since most Mexican foods have a little spice to them.
I also added in hash browns because they are probably my favorite breakfast side dish. I could eat potatoes at every meal so that isn't much of a surprise. They do help to make this a really hearty brunch dish though. I then added some onion and peppers because you have to have a vegetable to round out this Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Bake.
When the breakfast bake came out of the oven it smelled really good. I let it cool for a few minutes before cutting it to give it a chance to set up. The first bite was delicious! The combination of fluffy eggs with the melted cheese and spicy sausage was delicious. I actually grabbed a piece of toast and put the bake on top of that for the ultimate brunch bake.
The only thing I would change about this is to reduce the amount of half and half in the recipe. I thought the eggs weren't quite set up enough and there was some extra liquid in the pan. I've adjusted the amount in the recipe below so it should work well.
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can make it the night before and refrigerate it. Then when it's time for brunch simply pop it in the oven and enjoy!
- ½ lb. hot sausage
- 3 c. frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 eggs
- ¾ c. half and half
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 c. Cabot 4 Cheese Mexican shredded cheese
- 1 c. Cabot Two State Farmers Cheddar Cheese
- 3 T. fresh cilantro, minced
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat cook the hot sausage for 5-7 minutes or until it begins to brown. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- In the same skillet cook the potatoes, onions, and peppers for 5-7 minutes or until they are soft.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the hot sausage. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, half and half, green chilies, and chili powder. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Spray an 11 x 7 baking dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the sausage mixture, half of the cheeses, and then half of the egg mixture. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the cilantro. Top with the remaining hot sausage and egg mixture then sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Top with 1 tablespoon of cilantro.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the cover and cook for 40-45 minutes or until the center of the dish is set and it is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve warm.
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Blueberry Lemonade from Family Around The Table
Easy Smoothie Shooters from The Nifty Foodie
Fresh Squeeze Blackberry Lemonade from Cooking With Carlee
Guava Mimosas from Seduction in the Kitchen
Guava Moscow Mule from Love and Confections
Lightening Lavender Margarita from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Mango Mimosa from April Golightly
Rum Punch for Brunch! from Hardly A Goddess
Sparkling Lavender Lemonade from Snacks and Sips
Strawberry Lavender Smoothie from Eat Move Make
BrunchWeek Appetizers and Salads:
Keto Chicken Salad from Platter Talk
Pecan Grape Salad from For the Love of Food
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Baked Eggs with Mushroom and Asparagus from Caroline's Cooking
Baked Hash Brown Egg Cups from Creative Southern Home
Breakfast Pizza from Kate's Recipe Box
Cheesy Scrambled Egg Stuffed Popovers from Jolene's Recipe Journal
Fried Green Tomato BLT Benedicts from The Spiffy Cookie
Ham, Egg, & Spinach Breakfast Bites from Sweet Beginnings
Roasted Carrot and Beet Frittatas from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Bake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Sheet Pan Mexican Frittata from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Soy-Brined Hard-Boiled Eggs from Shockingly Delicious
The Best Avocado Toast from Simply Healthyish Recipes
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Stuffed Muffins from Big Bear's Wife
Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls from Cookaholic Wife
How to Build A Crepe Bar from The Crumby Kitchen
Salted Caramel Peach Sweet Rolls from The Redhead Baker
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Cheesy Baked Breakfast Tacos from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Mashed Potato, Cheddar & Bacon Waffles from Tip Garden
Zucchini Cheese Pancakes from Karen's Kitchen Stories
Chocolate Banana Cookies with Sprinkles from Who Needs A Cape?
Cinnamon Roll Cake from Books n' Cooks
Espresso Banana Bread from PasstheSushi
Spring Blooms Cake from The Mandatory Mooch
Vegan Coffee Cinnamon Rolls from The Baking Fairy
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Joyjolt, Sweets & Treats, Torani, Sarcastic Cooking, Dessert for Two, Sweet Phi, and The Little Ferraro Kitchen for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own.