This month the blog I received for Secret Recipe Club was Cooking...on the Ranch. Lea Ann has a wonderful blog with so many amazing choices! A few that I can't wait to try are her Orange Spiced Pork Tacos, Orange Chile Brownies, and Watermelon and Feta Salad.
However, for today's recipe I chose a twist on one of my favorites-Baked Ziti. I've made baked ziti with roasted vegetables, baked ziti with different cheeses, and baked ziti with meat. This version has both meat and vegetables in it and uses Muir Glen tomatoes and tomato sauce. Since I just went to Pittsburgh and bought several cans of each, this was the perfect recipe.
I really enjoyed the vegetables and lean ground beef in this ziti. I also liked that the sauce was made from the Muir Glen tomatoes and tomato sauce. It was simple and delicious. I used a few spices to give it a little more flavor then topped it with a combination of Italian cheeses. I liked that it was over loaded with sauce like so many baked pastas are. We both thought this was a tasty creation and will definitely have it again!
Muir Glen Baked Ziti with Fire Roasted Tomatoes (adapted from Muir Glen, as seen on Cooking...on the Ranch)
12 oz. ziti, uncooked
¾ lb. lean ground beef (90%)
½ onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 zucchini, cut in half twice (lengthwise) then diced
1 can (15 oz) Muir Glen® organic tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 t. oregano
1 t. parsley
1 t. black pepper
½ t. salt
½ c. shredded mozzarella
½ c. grated Asiago
½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook the ziti according to the package directions. Drain and then add the pasta to the baking dish.
3. Meanwhile, cook the ground beef in a skillet until it is browned. Add in the onion and red pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the zucchini and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, parsley, black pepper, and salt. Heat to boiling then pour over top of pasta. Toss to coat.
5. Sprinkle the mozzarella and Asiago over top of the pasta. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, serve on a plate, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.