As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Do you ever have a dessert that is so good you could eat the whole pan? That’s how awesome these millionaire shortbread cookies are. Want to know what’s even better then the flavor? They are no bake so there’s no need to heat up the kitchen this summer while you make them! Score! They also travel well so you can take them with you to picnics, parties, and BBQ’s this summer.
The shortbread cookie layer is actually not shortbread at all. It’s supposed to be but since I used what I had in my house I simply used a combination of graham crackers and Golden Oreos. You can certainly use the original shortbread but I actually think the combination of the graham crackers and Golden Oreos was perfect because it wasn’t overly sweet.
Then there was the caramel layer. I followed the directions exactly as written and could not get my caramel to firm up after and hour of having it on the stove top. Who wants to have a pot of milk on the stove that they have to watch for an hour? No one, that’s who. So I switched up some of the quantities, raised the heat, and tried it again. This time my caramel thickened up in about 20 minutes which was perfect.
The easy part of these bars is the topping because it’s just a little bit of chocolate. Everything needs to be refrigerated in between each layer so they don’t mix together. I thought they were great because I didn’t need to turn on the oven. My husband and friends at work thought they were great because the flavor was amazing. Picture a buttery crust, thick caramel, and rich chocolate. Yum!
These bars were so good that my husband and I actually had them for dinner the night we made them. We didn’t set out to eat them for dinner but after our 3rd or 4th bar that’s the way it ended up. I had 3 of them for dinner and that’s all I needed. These cookie bars are that good!
- ½ c. graham cracker crumbs
- 1 c. Golden Oreos
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 7 oz. chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Place the graham crackers and Golden Oreos in a food processor and pulse until they are crumbs.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe dish then pour into the processor. Give it a few pulses, just enough to combine it with the cookie crumbs.
- Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper or foil. Press the cookie crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan and refrigerate while making the caramel.
- Pour the brown sugar, butter, and milk into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and use a candy thermometer to heat the mixture until it reaches 240 degrees. Remove from heat.
- Remove the cookie crumb mixture from the refrigerator and pour the caramel over top of it. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals, stirring well after each interval. Spread over top of the caramel and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve lift the cookies out of the pan using the parchment paper or foil. Place on a cutting board and cut into 16 squares.
More Foods for a Picnic:
- Bacon Cheeseburger Dip by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Pimento Cheese by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Blueberry Pie by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Pound Cake with Lime Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Classic Carrot Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Salad Skewers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen