Alright I’ve got my first #BaconMonth recipe! In case you missed the announcement, 16 bloggers will be participating and posting bacon recipes all month long! We’ll also be hosting a different baconlicious giveaway each week. My first dish is a pasta dish that has vegetables balanced out with some delicious crispy bacon.
A few weeks ago my friend Adrienne was going with her family to Chicago. Knowing that the two older kids are foodies, I asked my blogging buddy Joelen for some recommendations of places they could go that would be great for the older kids but would work for the little ones as well. She came up with a great list and Adrienne and her family visited most of them.
Once she returned we had to have breakfast so I could hear all about it. She told me about the food tour they went on, a few of the amazing restaurants where they ate, the zoo, and the Green City Market. She said that Green City Market was amazing with tons of vendors and foods of all different kinds. I immediately wanted to go!
She then surprised me with an early birthday gift. It was a cookbook from the Green City Market! All of the recipes use fresh produce and the book is arranged by season so it’s easy to find a recipe for any time of year. I was touched by the thoughtful gift and excited to get home and get cooking from it. The first recipe to catch my eye was one with pasta, mushrooms, bacon, and sweet corn. Of course it was a past recipe to catch my eye! But really, it was the unusual combination of fresh sweet corn, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, and bacon that drew me to it.
I changed up the recipe slightly to add a light sauce to it, but for the most part I kept it intact. This is a really great summer pasta since it has fresh summer vegetables and a light sauce. It’s really fresh tasting and the sweetness of the corn is cut by the saltiness of the bacon. I topped it off with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese and it was just about perfect!
- 12 oz. fusilli, rigatoni, or other short pasta
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ears sweet corn, kernels removed from the cob
- 4 roasted red pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ c. pasta water
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. fresh herbs (I used sage, oregano, parsley, and basil)
- Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving ¼ cup of pasta water, and keep warm.
- Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring the bacon pieces occasionally until they are brown. Remove from the pan and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan with the bacon drippings and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the corn, roasted red peppers, and garlic cloves. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta water, lemon juice, and butter. Cook for 2 minutes or until just warm. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh herbs and half of the bacon.
- Serve the pasta with remaining bacon and Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.