So pumpkin season is in full swing. I feel like I’ve been baking pumpkin desserts every single weekend. There are just so many different ones to make and I love the smell of pumpkin baking in the oven.
I found a recipe for Pumpkin Magic Bars and really wanted to make them. However, if you’ve read some of my other posts you know that Magic Bars rarely turn out for me. I can’t figure out what the problem is but they are often soft and lose their shape even after putting them in the refrigerator.
I really liked the sound of the recipe though so I went for it. I figured if it didn’t turn out I could always crumble it up and use it in a pumpkin parfait. But I was really hoping that these bars would work out for me.
The original recipe calls for a gingersnap crust but since I didn’t have any I used graham crackers and a few spices. Then instead of sweetened condensed milk I used a caramel flavored condensed milk. Then I added in cinnamon chip sand walnuts.
I baked the bars in the oven and they smelled incredible. The scent of pumpkin, caramel, and cinnamon made the entire house feel warm and inviting. When I pulled them out they looked a little under-cooked in the middle but were brown on the edges so I kept them out.
I ended up cooling them in the refrigerator and they actually got firm! I was so excited I quickly cut them into pieces and dug into one. It was delicious! The crust was sweet and spiced and the middle was a combination of pumpkin, white chocolate, cinnamon chips, and pecans. The pecans gave the bars a nice crunch. The coconut on top was crisp and added some texture to the bars.
These are definitely a decadent treat that I’d love to have again. My husband said they are one of his favorite pumpkin desserts.
- 2 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 1 t. ginger
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ c. butter, melted
- 1 (14 oz) can caramel flavored sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ c. pumpkin puree
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ¾ c. white chocolate chips
- ¾ c. cinnamon chips
- ¾ c. walnuts, chopped
- 1 c.sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 pan with foil, leaving 1 inch overhanging. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the graham cracker crumbs, ginger, cinnamon and butter in a food processor and process until they come together. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press it into a crust.
- In a medium bowl combine the caramel condensed milk, pumpkin, and cinnamon. Mix until blended. Pour over top of the graham cracker crust.
- Sprinkle evenly with the white chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, walnuts, and coconut.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until coconut is lightly toasted.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Refrigerate until firm.
- Use the foil to lift the bars from the pan and cut into 2 inch squares.
Try these tasty pumpkin recipes:
Pumpkin Coconut Curry with Chicken from Making Miracles.
Pumpkin Donuts from Palatable Pastime.
Pumpkin Empanadas from A Day in the Life on the Farm.
Pumpkin Magic Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks.
Pumpkin Seed Brittle from Gluten Free Crumbley.
Sopa de Abobora from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.