I'm not sure why there is so much hype over red velvet cake. I mean, if it was the only cake at a party I'd eat it, but if there were other choices I'd most likely go for something else. Is it the deep red color, the texture, or the subtle chocolate flavor? I have no idea why there is such a craze over the red velvet cake but whatever the reason, my cousin has red velvet cake fever too.
For the past year she has been begging me to make her a red velvet cake. Last year I was going to make her cupcakes but ran out of time. Her birthday is this month so being the nice cousin that I am, I made her a red velvet cake. I've made red velvet cupcakes before but I wanted to try a new recipe and I wanted to make a layer cake.
1 T. butter, softened
2 ½ c. flour
1 t. salt
2 T. cocoa powder
½ c. butter, melted
1 ½ c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 c. buttermilk
2 T. liquid red food coloring
1 t. white vinegar
1 t. baking soda
3-4 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 inch round pans with softened butter. Put parchment paper on the bottom of both pans and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.
3. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Add in the vanilla and mix.
4. In a bowl whisk the milk and food coloring. Alternate mixing the milk and flour into the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
6. Put the cakes on a cooling rack and let cool completely. Remove from pans.
7. In a large bowl combine cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Mix with a hand mixer. Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until thick and smooth.
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow for another party filled with GREAT RECIPES!
I hope to see you there!
That cake looks absolutely heavenly. My favorite book this year was "Life Is All About the Edges" by Calvin Miller.
cake looks delicious
Red Velvet Cake is my favorite...
So far, the best book I've read this year is Dark Places. Its definitely dark, but fascinating none the less!
My favorite book this year is Little Bee! It was a great book and I would definitely recommend it! ([email protected])
I thought The 19th Wife was great!
What a cool giveaway!
So far this year I'd have to go with Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo. And I'm with you on the red velvet cake, I just don't get it!
My favorite book so far this year has been "Water For Elephants"! Great summer reading!
Luv ya Heather!!
Email: [email protected]
Can't wait to try the Red Velvet!
Katie @ This Chick Cooks
I've actually never tried red velvet cake, but yours does look yummy. I'd love for you to come by and show off your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a blessed day 🙂
I love The Help. Best book this year! Great giveaway and that cake looks heavenly!
Email addy is: [email protected]