Thick slices of bread dipped in a sweet vanilla egg batter then coated in cinnamon cereal and panko make for crunchy French Toast Sticks that make a great breakfast when dipped in syrup!
Instead of working my way slowly into the world of sourdough starters I just jumped right in. After a week of getting my starter bubbly I began making everything I could with the discard. In the first week I made biscuits, English Muffins, blueberry muffins, and sourdough bread.
Since we had an abundance of bread products I needed to do something with the sourdough bread but I didn't want to waste it. I wanted to make something that I could freeze for later and these Crunchy French Toast Sticks seemed like a good idea! I'm always in the need of something different for breakfast and I happen to have a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch Churros cereal that I wasn't using that was going to be perfect for coating the French Toast sticks.
The sourdough bread was thick which made it the right choice for the French Toast Sticks. I mixed up batter with eggs, half and half, cinnamon, and sugar. I dipped thick slices of the bread into the batter then rolled them in the crushed cinnamon cereal and panko mixture.
At this point I could have just baked the French Toast sticks but instead I chose to flash freeze them. After freezing them I put them into bags of 4 and put them in the freezer for later.
The great thing about these is that you can bake them right from frozen so you can always have some on hand. Kids will love them because they are easy to dip into syrup and adults will love them because of the crunch. So make yourself a batch of these to freeze for a day when you don't want to make breakfast!
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- Substitute the cinnamon toast crunch for any of your favorite sweet cereals like Captain Crunch, Golden Grahams, or Frosted Flakes.
- Bake from frozen in an Air Fryer on 380 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
- 4 eggs
- ½ c. half and half
- 1 T. vanilla
- ⅓ c. sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 c. panko
- 1 ½ c. Cinnamon Toast Crunch Churro cereal (or other cinnamon cereal), crushed
- 12 slices of thick, hearty bread, cut into 3 strips
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a shallow bowl whisk together the eggs, half and half, vanilla, sugar, and ½ t. of cinnamon.
- In another shallow bowl combine the panko, crushed cereal, and ½ t. of cinnamon.
- Put a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet with sides.
- Dunk each piece of bread into the egg mixture then roll in the cereal mixture, pressing to cover the bread.
- Place the French toast stick on the cooling rack.
- Repeat with remaining bread.
- Place the French toast sticks in the oven until they are golden around the edges, 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with syrup.
- If not baking right away place the baking sheet in the oven for 30 minutes. Transfer 4-6 French toasts sticks into a freeze safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- When baking from frozen preheat the oven to 425 degrees and bake on a foil lined sheet for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Food Network
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.