Chicken topped with a creamy sauce mixed with mushrooms, apples, and onions then served over top of a bed of spaghetti noodles with crispy bacon on top. This recipe was originally published September 6, 2012.
When I first saw the picture of this Country Club Chicken I was immediately interested. A piece of chicken served over top of pasta in a cream sauce is one of my favorite ways to eat chicken. Finding out that there was crispy bacon on top just made me want to try it even more.
I had most of the ingredients needed for this dish in my kitchen but I did need to buy mushrooms as they aren't something I tend to keep on hand. Everything else is generally in my kitchen.
For this recipe you need:
- spaghetti noodles
- chicken breast
- chicken brother
- white wine
- cheddar cheese
The bacon is cooked in a skillet until it is crispy and brown. Then the chicken is sprinkled with salt and pepper and sauteed in the skillet with the bacon grease which adds a ton of flavor to it.
Next all of the vegetables are added to the pan and sauteed until softened. Add in the liquids to make the sauce and then remove from heat and stir in the cheeses. It makes a delicious looking cream sauce that is poured over top of the chicken.
The entire dish is baked in the oven. While it's baking the spaghetti is made and drained. The chicken and sauce is served over top of the pasta for an awesome dinner.
I can totally see why this would be served at a country club. It looks a little bit fancy with the mushrooms and creamy white wine sauce. The apples add a bit of sweetness but not too much. The pasta underneath would be considered a side dish.
This is a great dish that can be made ahead of time and heated up if you were having it for company. It's also easy enough to make the day of and serve to guests because it doesn't take a ton of time.
Country Club Chicken
Chicken topped with a creamy sauce mixed with mushrooms, apples, and onions then served over top of a bed of spaghetti noodles with crispy bacon on top.
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 chicken breasts (4-6 oz. each)
- ½ large onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 apple, minced
- ½ c. chicken broth
- ½ c. dry white wine
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ c. sharp cheddar, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 12 oz. spaghetti noodles
- Place the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until it is brown and crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and put them in the skillet with the bacon grease.
- Cook for 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is browned and partially cooked. Remove from skillet and place in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pan and cook for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the apples and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Crumble two pieces of the cooked bacon and mix it into the onion and mushroom mixture along with the chicken broth and white wine.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined and the cheeses are melted.
- Pour over top of the chicken breasts in the baking dish.
- Break the remaining two strips of bacon in half and place one on top of each chicken breast.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Serve the chicken on top of the spaghetti and spoon any extra sauce over top. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Recipe adapted from Big Oven
I seem to remember my Mom making a chicken recipe called country club chicken. I'm going to definitely put this on the menu soon!
Oh my goodness! I was so excited to come across this recipe! I had country club chicken years ago and I totally forgot about it! I know what's on the menu this week!
So glad I could help you find an old favorite! I had actually forgotten about it to and was so glad I made it again!
You had me at bacon! My guys will love this one too!
Amy (Savory Moments)
I love the combination of flavors in this meal and the crispy bacon makes it even better!
Colleen - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
I'm going to have to pull some chicken out of the freezer to thaw this week! This recipe NEEDS to happen!!!
This sounds like the perfect comforting dinner. Love the name too!
Totally adding this to my chicken recipes! I love that there is apples in this and of course, bacon!
Oh my gosh! Bacon, pasta, chicken, and cream cheese? HECK YES!! 🙂
Thank you for sharing this on Tasty Thursday - it was one of the most clicked and it'll be featured on my blog this Saturday!
This is a great recipe that I can't wait to try. Hope you are having a fabulous weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
I like that I can actually make this :). Bacon, chicken, creamy sauce... I love it already. I'm sure my daughter will too 🙂
Hey! Found and followed you through Tastetastic Thursday. I just love your blog!
Hope you check mine out as well 🙂
I love most anything that cooks in a casserole dish! Thanks for sharing.
Anne @ Green Eggs and Moms
With bacon on top, how can you go wrong?!?
Opened this post up at 8am this morning, and instantly got excited about dinner. Heading out to get ingredients. Hubby's gonna be thrilled!