As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Do you ever have an idea for a dish in your mind and then when you start making it things start changing but it’s starts sounding better and better? That’s what happened with this potato dish. I had a basic idea of what I wanted it to turn into but as I cooked it evolved into something even better.
The dish starts with thinly sliced potatoes drizzled with butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper. They roasted in the oven and start to get golden brown. Then goat cheese and bacon is sprinkled on top and it’s baked for even longer.
When the potatoes came out of the oven they looked amazing! I mean, of course they looked yummy but they looked really pretty too! This is definitely one of those dishes to serve at a holiday or a dinner party to wow your guests. Plus it’s easy to make so you can spend more time with your guests or family. The finishing touch to this dish is a balsamic reduction drizzled over top. It not only adds color but flavor as well.
These potatoes are out of this world. The potatoes are mostly soft but have slightly crunchy edges. The goat cheese adds creaminess while the bacon adds saltiness and crunch. Then the balsamic drizzle adds a bit of acidity with a hint of sweetness. The over all dish is just awesome.
It’s also one of those dishes that I liked the more I ate it. My husband and I each had a small serving then went back for a little more. Even though we had finished eating both my husband and I continued to snitch more potatoes. They are seriously addicting!
I’m also entering this recipe in the Idaho Potato Commission Recipe contest for the Food and Wine Conference. The contest is for a shareable family-style Idaho® potatoes recipe. I think this one definitely fits the bill. There’s still time to enter if you have a great potato recipe as well!
- 5 Idaho Russet Potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 1 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 1 1/2 or 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them as thinly as possible. Arrange them in the dish so that they are standing up. Place the thinly sliced shallots in between some of the potato slices and sprinkle the rest on top.
- Drizzle the potatoes with the melted better then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle the goat cheese and bacon on top of the potatoes. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the vinegar and garlic in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vinegar has reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Once the potatoes are finished drizzle the balsamic reduction over top of them and serve immediately.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe