When I entertain I like to make a lot of appetizers. That way people can try a little bit of everything while mingling instead of having one heavy sit down meal. We don't have a ton of room at our house so it's hard to find room for more than 8 people at a time.
The majority of my appetizer dips are hot dips. I like buffalo chicken dip, spinach artichoke dip, and jalapeno popper dip. The only cold dips I ever make are a simple ranch dip for vegetables or the classic spinach dip. So since it's summer and it's so hot outside I decided I needed to add a few more cold dips to my repertoire.
I started looking at some basic recipes but didn't like how many ingredients everything had. After searching the Internet I decided instead to look through my own cupboards. What I came up with was a packet of ranch seasoning, a packet of onion soup, and some spicy cheddar cheese. Put them together and you have a mouth-watering Sour Cream and Onion Cheddar Dip!
The base of this dip is sour cream. I mixed in the onion soup mix and the ranch seasoning. Then I stirred in some of the spicy cheddar cheese until the dip was thick. I grabbed a few crackers, spread the dip on, and boy did it taste amazing! Have you ever had sour cream and cheddar potato chips? It's like that but even better.
This dip would be great on crackers, with pretzels, with pitas, or even sturdy vegetable sticks. Kids and adults will both love it and if the spicy cheddar is too hot you can simply use regular cheddar instead. So when you are asked to bring a dip or appetizer to a picnic or cookout this summer, don't forget about this Sour Cream and Onion Cheddar Dip!
Sour Cream and Onion Cheddar Dip
A creamy and flavorful cold dip that can be made in under 5 minutes.
- 16 oz. container sour cream
- 1 packet Ranch seasoning
- 1 packet Onion Soup Mix
- 1 c. Cabot Fiery Jack cheese, shredded (or regular cheddar)
- Combine the sour cream, half the ranch, half the onion soup mix, and all of the cheese in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with crackers, pitas, or vegetables.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
Delicious Dairy Recipes
- Aspargus Gruyere Tart by Art of Natural Living
- Beer and Brats Mac and Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Beer Battered Deep Fried Cheese Curds by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Best Oreo Milkshakes by Family Around the Table
- Cheese and Spinach Ravioli Casserole by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream by Simply Inspired Meals
- Individual Baked Macaroni and Cheese by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Marigold Petal and Matcha Panna Cotta by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Palestinian Preserved Labneh by Pandemonium Noshery
- Sour Cream and Spicy Cheddar Ranch Dip by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Inger @ Art of Natural Liivng
It's always dip season isn't it! This looks delicious!
Always happy to have another quick and easy appetizer recipe on hand for when guests drop in unexpectedly.
Simply Inspired Meals
I like the idea of combining the onion and ranch dip flavors, sounds yummy!
Sour cream and onion dip is my family's favorite. They will love your version with the added Cheddar.
I'm an onion dip fiend!! And I just bought some ranch dressing packets, too. Looks like we're having dip for a snack today!
Cheese Curd In Paradise
What a great dip to munch on with chips or crackers! I would love to make a big batch of this and bring it to our cottage in the summer for a snack!
Love the fiery cheese in there! I never would have thought of that! Sounds delish.
I love recipes made from things you already have in the house. That looks like it has a lot of flavor and would be delicious with so many things.