A few weeks ago I finally took the plunge into sourdough. I've wanted to do it for years but something always stopped me. Since I've had more time on my hands I just decided to go for it and Virgil Flours was born.
I'll be honest, so far Virgil hasn't been too finicky and I've really enjoyed the recipes I've made using him. I feed him once a week and I use the discard for baking. I've made English Muffins, rolls, fruit muffins, and pizza crust.
Today I'm sharing a recipe for Sourdough Hummingbird Muffins. It uses one cup of sourdough discard or one cup of sourdough starter from a fed starter. Either will work with these muffins.
Then I started adding things to it. Originally I was just going to try and add in some crushed pineapple and call it a day but I had a very overripe banana I needed to use. Since I was using pineapple and bananas it only made sense to add in some pecans and make these into hummingbird muffins.
The dough ended up being pretty wet but I scooped it into the muffin tins and popped them in the oven. I had enough batter for 16 muffins. The muffins got some rise in the oven and came out just starting to brown on top.
I waited until they cooled before trying them. The sweetness from the pineapple and bananas went well with the pecans. I topped some of mine with butter and a few others with flavored cream cheese. These are a delicious breakfast muffin but because of the sweetness they are great as a snack too.
A Hezzi-D original recipe As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Coconut Cake by Family Around the Table
- Grilled Pork Chops with Pineapple Salsa by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Hawaiian Chicken by Making Miracles
- Mango Chile Margarita by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Mango Margarita by Art of Natural Living
- Pina Colada Tacos by Blogghetti
- Pineapple Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Icing by That Recipe
- Pineapple Lemonade by Palatable Pastime
- Sourdough Hummingbird Muffins by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks