You all know how much I love to make holiday treats. Once I start I just can't stop! However, it's hard to make batch after batch of cupcakes and cookies and not eat them so lately I've been making a basic batch of batter then tweaking it so I'm making anywhere from 2-4 different flavors of cupcakes in a single batch of batter. It's not hard to do and I'm only really making 1-2 dozen cupcakes instead of 5-8 dozen cupcakes.
The recipe for Spiced Caramel Halloween Cupcakes started as a basic yellow cupcake batter. I used my favorite recipe and then I added in caramel sauce and spices to switch it up a bit. I had to adjust the amount of liquid as well since the caramel sauce is so runny.
These cupcakes baked up pretty well although they began to sink once I took them out of the oven. It wasn't too bad though and that just meant that I would add a touch more frosting to the mix. They ended up being pretty light and airy which I was surprised about but they had a great flavor. They were full of spices and tasted of a light caramel. Spice Caramel Cupcakes are perfect for fall.
For decorating I made an easy caramel buttercream frosting which is basically my buttercream frosting with some caramel sauce added to it. Then I rolled the outside edges in Halloween sprinkles. I found these fun edible tombstones that you can write on from Wilton and put those on top along with a few candy "bloody bones".
The resulting cupcakes looked like a graveyard scene which is great for Halloween. They were also super easy to decorate since the tombstones and bones came in a decorating kit. While I whipped up my frosting from scratch you can use a can (though I NEVER do) or make your own favorite frosting recipe.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ¼ c. flour
- 1 ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. nutmeg
- ½ t. ginger
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 T. caramel sauce
- ⅓ c. milk
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 3 T. caramel sauce
- 1-2 T. milk
- Halloween sprinkles
- Candy Tombstones (optional)
- Candy bones (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add in the egg and caramel sauce and mix well.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Add the milk and mix until well combined. Add the remaining flour and mix well.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl beat the butter on medium speed until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar a cup at a time and beat until well combined.
- Add in the caramel sauce and milk and beat at medium speed until the mixture is smooth. If needed add in a bit more powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Dip the edges of the cupcakes into Halloween sprinkles.
- Top with edible tombstones and bones if desired.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Haunting Halloween Recipes
- Eyeball Pasta by Making Miracles
- Graveyard Chocolate Mousse by Art of Natural Living
- Homemade Candy Corn by That Recipe
- Spiced Caramel Halloween Graveyard Cupcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Cheesecake Brain by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Witch Finger Cookies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Witches Brooms by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures