Spiced pumpkin cupcakes filled with chocolate chips then topped off with creamy chocolate buttercream frosting.
It's fall and that means it's pumpkin season. I've been looking through my pumpkin recipes to see if there are any I've made that I haven't blogged about and these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes came up.
I'm surprised I haven't written this recipe before because it's so easy. In fact if you tasted these cupcakes you would be shocked to know that I start them with a cupcake mix. That's right, these cupcakes are semi-homemade.
I find that using a cupcake mix for a base is a great baking hack because you can add so much to it and making your own homemade frosting is a game changer. The base recipe for these cupcakes is super easy.
The ingredients you need are:
- yellow cake mix
- pumpkin puree
- vegetable oil
- chocolate chips
Just five ingredients (plus spices) will give you a cupcake that tastes homemade. I combined all of the ingredients listed and then added in pumpkin pie spice as well. Then I filled 24 muffin cups with the mixture and put them in the oven.
While the cupcakes were baking I made my chocolate buttercream frosting. I take my classic buttercream recipe and replace ½ cup of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder. Then I pipe the frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes.
To finish these off I sprinkled them with mini chocolate chips and put pumpkin picks in several of them. They make for the cutest pumpkin cupcakes ever!
I took a batch of these to work and people raved about them. I honestly can say that just adding pumpkin puree and chocolate chips to the cake mix then topping it with the homemade frosting makes the entire thing taste homemade.
These are perfect for fall gatherings or even for Halloween parties. I like that they are also easy to grab and eat on the go.
Like this pumpkin recipe? Check out some of my other pumpkin recipes:
For the cupcakes:
- 1 yellow cake mix
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. pumpkin puree
- ¾ c. chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
For the frosting:
- 3 sticks (1 ½ cups) butter
- 5 ½ c. powdered sugar
- ½ c. cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ c. mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, oil, eggs, and pumpkin puree. Whisk until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add the pumpkin spice and mix gently until combined.
- Fill each muffin cup ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting put the butter in a large bowl and beat with a mixer on medium high speed until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar in a half cup at a time until the frosting is smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla and the milk and beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 3g
Pumpkin season is here, and we are celebrating our love of pumpkin with #PumpkinWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures. All week-long 26 bloggers will be sharing over 80 pumpkin-filled recipes for all your Autumn celebrations, including breakfasts, baked goods, savory pumpkin recipes, desserts, and drinks.
- Iced Pumpkin Pie Drink by Palatable Pastime
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins by The Mandatory Mooch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins by Our Sutton Place
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Pumpkin Pull Apart Bread by Making Miracles
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake by Blogghetti
- Baked Pumpkin Goat Cheese Alfredo Pasta with Bacon by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pumpkin Bacon Mac and Cheese by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin Corn Chowder by Cindy's Recipes and Writings