Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes are fluffy vanilla cupcakes studded with freeze dried strawberries and topped with a creamy strawberry buttercream frosting.
I'm always trying new flavors of cupcakes. I'll often make a basic chocolate or vanilla cupcake recipe and add several ingredients to turn it into a new and exciting flavor. When I saw a recipe using freeze dried strawberries I was pretty excited.
Over the last few months every time my husband and I have gone to Aldi's we've gotten yogurt melts and freeze dried strawberries for our toddler. Some how we've ended up with like 8 bags of strawberries so I've been trying to find way to use them. Adding them to cupcakes sounded like a great idea.
The actual cake recipe is just a basic vanilla cake recipe. Then I added in ½ cup of freeze dried strawberries and some additional vanilla extract. The cupcakes baked up light and fluffy.
The original frosting recipe was for a whipped strawberry frosting but I didn't have the ingredients for that so I made a sweet strawberry buttercream instead. I used my buttercream frosting recipe but used heavy cream instead of milk and ground dried strawberries to give the frosting both flavor and color.
These cupcakes were the perfect combination of vanilla and strawberry. I like that they were sweet but a little bit tart from the dried strawberries. They have a pink hue to them from the strawberries. If you like fruit cupcakes you'll love these strawberry cupcakes!
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- Make sure to grind the strawberries in a food processor before using them in the frosting otherwise you will struggle to pipe out the frosting and it will become chewy.
- You can totally use a basic chocolate cupcake recipe in place of the vanilla recipe to make a chocolate covered strawberry cupcake.
- For extra strawberry flavor scoop out a hole in the middle of the cupcakes and fill with fresh strawberry jam.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ½ c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter, softened
- ¾ c. sugar
- ⅓ c. freeze dried strawberries
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ t. rosewater
- ⅔ c. milk
For the frosting:
- 1 ½ sticks butter (12 Tablespoons)
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- ½ c. freeze dried strawberries, finely ground
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a second large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add in the strawberries and mix well.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and rose water and mix until well combined.
- Stir in half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Add the milk and stire until combined. Add remaining flour mixture and mix well.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 22-25 minutess or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting place the butter in a large bowl. Beat on medium high speed with a mixer until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and strawberries and mix on medium low speed until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and milk and mix on medium high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to the 4th Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. We're celebrating all things summer with a week-long event that is absolutely filled with some of the best summer dessert recipes! Follow the hashtag #SummerDessertWeek on social media to find recipes and make sure to check out the bottom of this post for even more summer desserts!
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream & Chilled Desserts:
- Caramelized Pineapple No-Churn Ice Cream from Love and Confections
- Chocolate Covered Frozen Strawberries from Our Sutton Place
- Coffee Panna Cotta from Pastry Chef Online
- Strawberry Margarita Popsicles from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pineapple-Orange Sherbet Popsicles from Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Pops from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Mason Jar Lid Cherry Cheesecake Pies from For the Love of Food
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Southern Pineapple Sunshine Cake from Big Bear's Wife
- Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Pound Cake from Savory Experiments
- Blueberry Lemon Dump Cake from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Key Lime Sheet Cake from It's Shanaka
No Bake Treats:
- Chocolate Chess Pie from Back To My Southern Roots
- Bourbon Peach Empanadas from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Rhubarb Thumbprints from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Caramel Banana Sauce from Cindy's Recipes and Writings